Default Battery Installation And Key Position

Am really confused about connecting the battery to the car. It's claimed that, putting the key to the ON position before connecting the battery cable would be the better method for the Volvo. With all my other vehicles, I don't . When my "main" XC lost all it's oil, I had to revert to my other by installing the battery, so I can use it till am done with the new work. I have the key in the ON position. After the second cable was connected, the interior light came on, and then off, and the side marker lights with the rear light, started flashing (still with the interior lights off). The alarm was not sounding. I had to turn off the car and started it for the flashing lights turned off. With the Volvo, I never feel comfortable connecting the battery with the key in the ON position, since there could be an OVERLOAD or damage to it's sensitive electronic modules, of some sort.

Thanks.
    2001 Volvo V70XC/AWD/Auto/Turbo/164k Miles (Maroon)
    2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/151k Miles (Brown)
    2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean/3.0/131K/AWD (Maroon)
    2005 Volvo XC90/AWD/V8/Auto 111K Miles (Black)
    2006 Toyota Sienna LE/AWD 124K Miles(Green)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1985 BMW (E23) 735i(US)/AUTO/209K Miles (Parked since 2011)
    1997 Mazda MPV/AUTO/4WD/173K Miles (Parked since 2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Oka View Post
    Am really confused about connecting the battery to the car. It's claimed that, putting the key to the ON position before connecting the battery cable would be the better method for the Volvo. With all my other vehicles, I don't . When my "main" XC lost all it's oil, I had to revert to my other by installing the battery, so I can use it till am done with the new work. I have the key in the ON position. After the second cable was connected, the interior light came on, and then off, and the side marker lights with the rear light, started flashing (still with the interior lights off). The alarm was not sounding. I had to turn off the car and started it for the flashing lights turned off. With the Volvo, I never feel comfortable connecting the battery with the key in the ON position, since there could be an OVERLOAD or damage to it's sensitive electronic modules, of some sort.

Thanks.
    I have had my battery in and out of the XC70 many times. I don't turn on the ignition. Never heard of that. Never had a problem. I don't know who says that. Sometimes it's good not to read too much on the interwebs.
    Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett San Diego View Post
    I have had my battery in and out of the XC70 many times. I don't turn on the ignition. Never heard of that. Never had a problem. I don't know who says that. Sometimes it's good not to read too much on the interwebs.
    Brett
    Actually, I meant to say the key is supposed to be in Position II to connect the battery, according to the service manual.