Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    There's an outside temp code stored - what temp is being reported to your CEM/EMC? You can click on the code and VIDA will give you diagnostic help.

A bad/erratic temp sensor (outside or engine) can make the engine not start. For instance if the sensor is reporting 150 degrees when it is 35 outside, the fuel system will send a very lean mixture, and the engine will spin over but not catch.
    By the way, is the engine's temperature sensor (for the coolant) the same unit as the sensor that checks the outside temperature that shows on the dash?

Quote Originally Posted by Oka View Post
    By the way, is the engine's temperature sensor (for the coolant) the same unit as the sensor that checks the outside temperature that shows on the dash?
    There are 2 outside air temp sensors, they are the little bumps on the bottom of the outside mirrors. Left and right air temp sensors have different functions, can't remember which does what but the outside temp reading on the dash being correct does not mean the signal to the ECU/ECM/CCM is correct.

Coolant temp sensor is in the thermostat housing, and can cause erratic hard starting problems also.

There are 2 outside air temp sensors, they are the little bumps on the bottom of the outside mirrors. Left and right air temp sensors have different functions, can't remember which does what but the outside temp reading on the dash being correct does not mean the signal to the ECU/ECM/CCM is correct.

Coolant temp sensor is in the thermostat housing, and can cause erratic hard starting problems also.
    Just reading about them. The outside air temperature sensor is one thing I have been wanting to fix but did not bother. Every time I need to know what the temp is, I tell myself why bother, it's cold outside. My other XC70 has the temp showing on the dash. For this defective one, I got to get it working. Just ordered both and the coolant temperature sensor. AutoZone in town has them but decided to get it from Volvo parts dealer. Should be in hopefully in a week.

Thanks again!

While waiting to get the Ambient and Coolant Temperature sensors to arrive, I just tried to start the car and on the dash, it shows:
    IMMOBILIZER
    SEE MANUAL

Any codes? Can you trace it in VIDA?
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

I did an "Update Scan".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CODE1.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	9134Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CODE2.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	9135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CODE3.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	9136Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CODE4.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	9137

Hello folks, I cannot find (Googled) how to remove the Outside Temperature Sensor. I found it removed but not how. VIDA shows it's location but not how to remove it.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oka View Post
    I cannot find how to remove the Outside Temperature Sensor.
    Instructions are in VIDA, go to Repair, click "removal, replacement and installation", choose "Electrical system", under "instrumentation" click on "sensors for check and warning systems", pick your car from the list, follow links to instructions. Outside temp sensor is near the bottom of the list.

OR

They are in the bottom of the mirrors, take door panel off, mirror off - replace sensor, put everything back together

Instructions are in VIDA, go to Repair, click "removal, replacement and installation", choose "Electrical system", under "instrumentation" click on "sensors for check and warning systems", pick your car from the list, follow links to instructions. Outside temp sensor is near the bottom of the list.
    Sorry I got side-tracked.
    I have been there some way back but forgot how to get there and thought it is the same as:
    Search-Keyword-Repair. Got this path now for future searches. Thank you.

They are in the bottom of the mirrors, take door panel off, mirror off - replace sensor, put everything back together
    Simply said, this is just it.

When done replacing both outside sensors and the coolant sensor, I plugged back the battery and immediately checked the temperature on the dash. it was kinda refreshing to see it show up. The car started at the first second third try. Think it got "weak" from all the previous starting from way back when the car won't start. I tried it two more times and it started all times with the remote starter fob. Though the temperature in garage was fifty-eight degrees. I packed it outside and later tried it and it started. I just have to wait for the temp to go down to find out.

One thing though is, the "IMMOBILIZER SEE MANUAL" error did not show up again, guess for now. Hopefully, the IMMOBILIZER does not come up when I started driving the car since it, I believe, is related to the key/starting function. Oh well, I'll find out when I start driving the car again.

Thank you so much for all your help in straightening me up. Well appreciated!

Sorry I got side-tracked.
    I have been there some way back but forgot how to get there and thought it is the same as:
    Search-Keyword-Repair. Got this path now for future searches. Thank you.

Simply said, this is just it.

When done replacing both outside sensors and the coolant sensor, I plugged back the battery and immediately checked the temperature on the dash. it was kinda refreshing to see it show up. The car started at the first second third try. Think it got "weak" from all the previous starting from way back when the car won't start. I tried it two more times and it started all times with the remote starter fob. Though the temperature in garage was fifty-eight degrees. I packed it outside and later tried it and it started. I just have to wait for the temp to go down to find out.

One thing though is, the "IMMOBILIZER SEE MANUAL" error did not show up again, guess for now. Hopefully, the IMMOBILIZER does not come up when I started driving the car since it, I believe, is related to the key/starting function. Oh well, I'll find out when I start driving the car again.

Thank you so much for all your help in straightening me up. Well appreciated!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast