Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Having sent my wife off down to Micheldever Tyres with a bit of paper specifying Pirelli Scorpions (which Micheldever told me they had in stock yesterday), I find that they've stuck Continental PremiumContact tyres on the car, not what I asked for but a couple of pounds cheaper.

Not going to kick up too much fuss unless someone tells me these tyres are poor......

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    For $556, you get 4 wheels and 4 Blizzak snow tires at the tire rack. No need to mount or dismount tires, just swap them at home yourself.

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/preferredpackages.jsp
    Into it for $612 this year.

Those Winterforce seem nice.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=4

Now, I need to see if the Green Diamonds tires are available in 215/65R16 or similar size.

Tires are wearing down, and it is soon time to replace. I am trying to decide between summer/winter tires (studded?), or just some all seasons. I prefer the summer/winter for quieter ride in summer and better traction (for going to ski areas during a blizzard) in the winter.

I'm running Goodyear Fortera. 17". After 15 K mikes I see I will need a new set for this winter. They are quiet and have excellent traction in all weather. My factory Michellons had good traction too but very noisy. It was a process to get to the Fortera decision. I will consider remarks made on this forum before I purchase another set. Except for the tread life they have been perfect.

Thumbs up Nokian WRs

I replaced the OEM Michelin tires on my XC90 AWD with Nokian WRs. I had used the WRs on the Cross Country and was very pleased with the performance in inclement weather.

Other than having to replace an out-of-spec tire (easily done under warranty), I've been very pleased with the performance of the WRs. They are quieter and handle rain, snow and ice better than the Michelin Synchos. Turn-in is sharper as the tires feel to have a stiffer sidewall. Ride is slightly harder but not all that noticeable. Fuel economy has stayed the same.

Based upon my experience with this tire on the Cross Country and now on the XC90, I'd say they're a great choice.

Tod.
    '02 V70 XC Ocean Race #271
    '05 XC90 2.5T Crystal Green - gone

I have been running Nokian WR's on my XC90 AWD for 3800mi now and love them. Was able to test them out during some winter weather and was impressed with the handling and traction. I would recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by blowpipe View Post
    Having sent my wife off down to Micheldever Tyres with a bit of paper specifying Pirelli Scorpions (which Micheldever told me they had in stock yesterday), I find that they've stuck Continental PremiumContact tyres on the car, not what I asked for but a couple of pounds cheaper.

Not going to kick up too much fuss unless someone tells me these tyres are poor......
    The Conti's are rather disappointing tires. Had them as my first set of tires. Very compromised as far as pure road tires go. Sorry to say.
    2004 Volvo XC90 T6 BSR, Heico everything (family workhorse)
    2000 Porsche 996 Twin Turbo TIP (the yellow authomatic track car)
    1995 Porsche 993C4s (back in Australia for Holiday drives)

My OEM Pirelli Scorpion Zeros are going to need replaced before the snow starts (approx. 22K miles), and after talking with several 'tire guys' I've decided to go with the Goodyear Fortera Tripletred. Interested if anyone else has any experience w/ these. I'll be sure to post my impressions once they're mounted...

Default tire noise iwth larger tire?

I too am shopping tires. I've read so many reviews (often conflicting) that I'm not sold on any of them. I have the OEM Michelin HVMVM4 Pilots and they have lasted to 37,000 and produce only a little highway noise.

The Fortera has some pretty good reviews, but some thought they were a little noisy. Since I am in southern California I am not looking at all weather, mainly highway and quiet. Based on my good experience with Michelin, I am going to go with Michelin Latitude HP.

I am running 235 60 R 18's now. I am considering going to a 255 or 265, but wonder if extending the profile beyond the body would increase the wind noise. Anyone know?

Nokian WRs Rock! In last blizzards did very well, both wife (XC90) and I (V70R) pushed a pretty big wave of snow (2+feet) with no trouble. I take the R up in the mountains in any weather almost every weekend. The road are plowed, did very well. These are not as good as studded, for certain at that level, but pretty darn good. We also use for drives to Texas and other non-locals, handle very well in summer also.

We installed these at 11,000 miles and now at 48,000 put a second set on. There was still a bit of wear left before the wear bar, but with winters here tread depth helps with snow so swapped to be on safer side.

Highly recommended, worth the effort to locate.
    Carl

Smile wide tires

I went with Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires and they are great. Very quiet and soft. I was even doing 75 m.p.h. in rain the other day and they never quivered. I did go larger than spec. by getting 245 (not 225) 60R-18 with no spacing issues.

$750 installed at Discount Tire ($158 each plus misc. & taxes)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast