Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Real time 2004 xc70 differential fill plug location needed

Hi all
    Drain/fill plug location needed for rear differential. . Searched, found several pictures, but none look like mine. All are either earlier or later. I read it is in the rear, there is what looks like a 14mm plug. It doesn't look like it takes a crush washer. Do not want to get it mixed-up with the Haladex plug. Also need the Haladex plug location too.
    Thanks all
    Brad

The rear differential box is located on a straight line axis running between the centers of the rear wheels. The drain-fill plug faces the rear. You can see it from where the exhaust pipe makes a 90 degree bend. It's a 17mm hex plug, and it needs a copper crush washer. The correct fill level is about 450 mL.

Don't overfill like I did...mine dripped gear oil out the vent -- had go go back and lower the oil level twice.

I am going out right now and taking a few pictures. I looked at several tube vids and read several write ups. Did the angle gear. The fill plug on it was facing the passenger side instead of the rear like most of the write ups show. Will post pictures in a bit. I think I found the one plug on the rear, but it looks like a pipe plug without a washer. Still need to find the Haladex plug too.
    Thanks

Default pictures

Here are a few pics of the rear side of the diff. There are 2 bolts/plugs. One on the left is larger, one on right is barely visible. Which is the diff plug ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/181864493@N06/48007542101/in/dateposted-public/[/IMG]

https://www.flickr.com/photos/181864493@N06/48007546998/in/dateposted-public/[/IMG]

Thanks Brad
    Not sure why the pictures are not loading, but if you copy link location in browser, they come up on another window.
    Last edited by Brad'sBB; 06-05-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad'sBB View Post
    Here are a few pics of the rear side of the diff. There are 2 bolts/plugs. One on the left is larger, one on right is barely visible. Which is the diff plug ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/181864493@N06/48007542101/in/dateposted-public/[/IMG]

https://www.flickr.com/photos/181864493@N06/48007546998/in/dateposted-public/[/IMG]

Thanks Brad
    Not sure why the pictures are not loading, but if you copy link location in browser, they come up on another window.
    Pic link disappeared. Edited and now the link is again there.

I can't help, but here are your pics:

IMG_1847

[IMG]IMG_1846

2005 XC70 - 50/35 Tint, Yakima Rack

Thank you

On my 2007, the Haldex fill plug is on the Haldex unit itself, facing the driver's side.

Have you located your Haldex unit? Follow your driveshaft to the rear of the car. It will enter the Haldex. You should see some electrical wiring which plugs into the DEM, the computer module of the Haldex. On my 2007, the Haldex fill was right next to the wiring. I think I unplugged/moved the wiring out of the way for better access to the plug. Take a picture of the Haldex on your 2004 with the wiring/DEM. If it's like my 2007, the plug should be above and just to the right of the wires.

Hope this helps!
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Thanks, I did locate the Haladex. Wasn't sure if the fill plug was on the unit or further back. One writeup showed it being close to the differential plug. My main concern was that both differential and Haladex plugs might be close together and I would put the wrong oil in one of them. Going to change the Haladex filter too. Should be another hard to access job. One writeup the guy managed to get the filter off by grinding a bit off the pump motor case. By doing so you can remove the pump and access the filter housing. Have to look closer to see what is possible.

Had a discussion with a retired mechanic friend of mine. His father was a mechanic and he had started working on cars at the age of 10. He later took over his father's business and was the only independent shop in his area to be qualified to do warranty work for the big 3 auto manufacturers. He later became an electrical engineer. We were talking about some of the issues with accessibility and repair. His thoughts were, that every automotive engineer and designer should have to spend at least two years working and repairing older vehicles. You know, 10 plus year old cars, 200,000 plus miles with rust, dirt and grime. He said that if they had experience working on them, they would design them to be more repair/ service friendly.

Thanks again, will pst back after I get it done.

Thanks, I did locate the Haladex. Wasn't sure if the fill plug was on the unit or further back. One writeup showed it being close to the differential plug. My main concern was that both differential and Haladex plugs might be close together and I would put the wrong oil in one of them. Going to change the Haladex filter too. Should be another hard to access job. One writeup the guy managed to get the filter off by grinding a bit off the pump motor case. By doing so you can remove the pump and access the filter housing. Have to look closer to see what is possible.

Had a discussion with a retired mechanic friend of mine. His father was a mechanic and he had started working on cars at the age of 10. He later took over his father's business and was the only independent shop in his area to be qualified to do warranty work for the big 3 auto manufacturers. He later became an electrical engineer. We were talking about some of the issues with accessibility and repair. His thoughts were, that every automotive engineer and designer should have to spend at least two years working and repairing older vehicles. You know, 10 plus year old cars, 200,000 plus miles with rust, dirt and grime. He said that if they had experience working on them, they would design them to be more repair/ service friendly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast