Thread: 12v Power Point

Default 12v Power Point

I've heard mention of a cargo area 12v Power Point a few times before. Is this an option, or is it standard? Where is it located? If I have one, I'm not finding it, so I'm guessing I don't have one.

Thanks!
    ...gregl

Greg Leibfried
    2003 XC70
    Nautic Blue Metallic Exterior / Beige Interior
    Premium Pkg / Touring Pkg / Integrated Booster Seats
    Volvo Cargo Tray / Cargoliner cargo protector

Default It became optional with MY2003 XC70s unless...

you ordered the third rear facing jump seat.

The 12v outlet is located on right side of cargo area about mid way up and mayne 15" from rear corner pillar.

I had to special order it with my OSD '03 XC70 and was charged $25 for it. A good deal as if I had let me dealership install it after car arrived in USA they would have charged me around $130.

There's a kit for this 12v outlet and the car is or should be pre-wired for it. All that's required is to drill the right size hole in the side panel and install the kit. This 12v outlet stays alive after ignition key removed or in 'off' position. Be aware of this as if you connect a device that isn't sensitive to the battery charge level the battery could be drained. Volvo's bone fide integrated thermal cooler box IS sensitive to this issue. I have one and I can vouch that it works and will not drain battery completely.

Good luck and regards... Barry

Re:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...ghlight=outlet
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...ghlight=outlet
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...ht=rear+outlet

and here's the ref that provides the Volvo part number for the rear 12v outlet kit.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...ht=rear+outlet
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Thumbs up Here it is

Just in case you missed my photos of it, here it is.

I believe it is located in the same position regardless of Worldwide location.

Perfect! Thanks for pointing that picture out....I had, in fact, missed that when I had searched/viewed some of the threads.

I have 2003 XC70, and think I someone previously mentioned that I probably am probably already pre-wired for this power point. Am I right in hoping for this? I do not have the rear facing jump seats.

I don't have the thermal cooler, but I've often thought of getting one. Does it come in beige yet? At one time, it only came to match the grey (or taupe?) interior.
    ...gregl

Greg Leibfried
    2003 XC70
    Nautic Blue Metallic Exterior / Beige Interior
    Premium Pkg / Touring Pkg / Integrated Booster Seats
    Volvo Cargo Tray / Cargoliner cargo protector

Quote Originally Posted by luverofpeanuts
    I don't have the thermal cooler, but I've often thought of getting one. Does it come in beige yet? At one time, it only came to match the grey (or taupe?) interior.
    The integrated thermal cooler box only comes in graphite. This is one reason we went with the all graphite interior -- not the only reason as we wanted all graphite anyrate to cut down on the color combo that otherwise results.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Regardless of rear seats you should have a wiring loom somewhere behind the panel.

Default You may need an additional shunt

I added the outlet after getting the kit from the dealer. The kit included the socket, wiring and what looked like a relay. The wire was already present behind the panel, the 'relay' was already in the 'rear electronic module' (the fusepanel thing behind the rear panel on the left side of the cargo area). I did not have power to it immediately. I had access to a wiring diagram and could see that something referred to as rsh3 (rear shunt perhaps) was missing from the panel. They are black, flat pieces of plastic that stick out of the panel for other uses as well. If you are lucky, yours will be present, but if the relay is plugged in and you still don't have power, check to see if the area for rsh3 is occupied. The panel is referred to as 'REM' in the wiring diagram if you are at the dealer trying to help the guy identify the part you need ($5). The cooler box is handy to have, and especially on long trips (I wouldn't put anything that is subject to spoilage due to cooling/warming cycles, it will get warm in between drives but stays cold while the car is running).
    2003 Nautic blue XC70, Touring/Prem pkg, oval cross bars, bike mounts, Volvo sub