Unhappy Imported post

I can't decide between the two models. I was planning to order the XC90 with the versatility package (have three growing kids to haul around) and was opting for the 2.5T model. I have been advised to take the T6 instead since I'll be hauling the kids and will need the extra power. I will be mainly driving the Los Angeles freeways and streets (mostly traffic). I'm still confused !#*& Any suggestions???

Default Imported post

Welcome! You're getting an XC90 thru OSD? Lucky you! The 2.5T has plently of power for normal driving when loaded and is preferred in traffic because of its better mileage and 5-speed transmission. The T6/4-speed excels at highway speeds, but around town it tends to be thirsty and has about the same pull as the 2.5T.

Although I like power and do a lot of highway driving, I chose the 2.5T because I wanted maximum range between fuel stops and a lower first gear for backcountry driving. Also, there were troubling rumors about the T-6's weak transmission. The 2.5T has proven to be adequate even when towing, just not very exciting.
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

Default Imported post

You may also consider this entirely uninformed opinion:-

In order to accommodate a more powerful engine (T6) there was no room for the smooth and reliable 5-speed box, so a 'foreign' GM 4-speed transmission had to be used instead. This makes for an 'oddball' setup. Members have said that the transmission is not all that smooth.

The fuel consumption is known to be poor - worse than I got out of a Range Rover...

Volvo is well experienced in its 5 cylinder and 5 speed tranni combinations, so one could expect that any major problems have been ironed out by now. T6 / 4 speed is new.

I t was rumoured on this board that the T6 was a stopgap until a more powerful V8 became available.

The T6 is only used in the S80 D5 and 2.5T engines are used in most of the Volvo range.

Given that you are in LA (out UK impression is that your city is congested most of the time   ) do you really have need for the extra welly that the T6 may give?

For reliability and comfort and cost I'd opt for the 2.5T; that sort of vehicle is best appreciated in a stately and gentle progress (like a Royce) rather than peadl-to-the-metal driving
    Mike.

Mine: XC 70 Sport 2009 D5 Inscription Electric Blue.
    VNS, DSTC and 4C, BLIS, LDW ventilated leather ACC; Yummy.

All gone now - XC70 MY 13 SE LUX Flamenco red - goes better than the '09 even with its "Polestar plus" upgrade. I justy miss the PCC...

Hers: V60 Flamenco Red 215HP D5 (like above XC70 spec)

Question Imported post

Thank you very much for your input.  It has surely helped us make a wise decision!!! We're opting for the 2.5T in crystal green with the versatility package!  Now, I can't wait to get it!!!  Bad part about ordering via OSD is we won't be able to get it until mid-July. I hope weather is great in Gotheborg!

Thank you!!!

Default Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (zenter @ Feb. 20 2004,12:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We&#39;re opting for the 2.5T in crystal green with the versatility package&#33; Now, I can&#39;t wait to get it&#33;&#33;&#33; Bad part about ordering via OSD is we won&#39;t be able to get it until mid-July. I hope weather is great in Gotheborg&#33;[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Should be nice there but you&#39;ll miss the ski season&#33; Gardens should be in full swing, though. Be sure to check out any unique things you can order via OSD such as the subwoofer instead of rear air, laminated glass without the motion/mass detectors (or vice versa), different wheels or tires, etc. Enjoy&#33; Five months...
    '04 XC90 2.5T, ~170K miles, ash gold/graphite, 7-seater, towing, nav
    "Objects in the mirror may be just as they appear." - Steve Forbert

Default Imported post

Definitely a long wait but well worth it&#33;&#33;&#33; Btw, when do i get to order those unique things???

Thanx again.

Default Imported post

Zenter, those are options generally ordered at time of placing your car order, but given long lead times you should be able to modify you order (I was unclear if you&#39;ve already placed it). Your OSD dealer should have a printout of all the various options/accessories and one of the great things about OSD is that you can get many of them individually, without having to select a package.

2007 XC70 Barents Blue, Adventure Pkg