Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Arrow Imported post

Hi!

Been out drivin for two days  , and so far it is just great. Sweet smell of a new car and no probs so far.

Going to Bergen Part 1: "The Safe choice"

Oslo-E18-Sandvika-E16-Voss

This is the main road, not the shortest but the one with best road and less mountainpass. This choice is good almost in any weather. 421km and 7hrs with average of 60km/hr (sorry but I'm in a hurry to go to work, hopefully you can do some conversions at home.)

You will not take a ferry and daylight at mid march is atleast 12hrs. Norways two longest tunnels (11km and 24km(worlds longest car tunnel)) is found on this stretch and points of interest would be view, some gallery's and museums along this rute. Most attractions are closed in this time a year. Any speciall interest and I'll try to find out.

Look at this site: www.stavechurch.org
    This is a must. Pick atleast one along your choice of way to Voss and visit.

We might go to Drammen 19th march and visit a friend. Then next day we would like to meet up somewhere if it is of any interest. We havent decided yet on how far we want to go. I have to go on a buisness trip now, and when I come back I will describe some more interesting choices of driving to Voss. Better view and more to see, and shorter in distance.

Have you considdered to drop of car in Drammen, train to Oslo airport, then to Copenhagen airport(if that is the one you are going home from) Just a thought

Sorry have to go now. You have a nice set of wheels to look forward to

(PS If of any interest, there is a english speaking Baptist Church in Sandvika with a very nice american pastor)
    2004 XC70 D5 Mistral Green Metalic delivered on 24th february -04,
    and volvoXC.com sticker is in its place....
    XC70Viking's album

Default Imported post

Hey, sounds like you are having a good time running around in your new XC!

Thanks again for the thoughts on routing and things to see. I looked at www.stavechurch.org and find some of that interesting. We'll be interested to see what church sites are along the way (assuming the roads are ok for driving). I'm using http://mapping.drive-alive.co.uk/roa...map-norway.htm to plan the driving route based on your suggestion. This site recommends going off E16 for about 100+ km on Route 7 enroute to Voss. Although shorter, based on your comments, I suspect it is more mountainous and perhaps not maintained as well.

Meeting you east of OSLO as we head out for Voss on the 20th of March would be good. We probably will stop to see the church in Sandvika especially if we can make contact with the Pastor by telephone before.

Because of the desire to drive while it is light, we probably would leave Oslo early. What do you suggest for a meeting spot?

ORGramps
    '04 XC70 March OSD-Crystal Green/Taupe, Premium, Touring, DSTC, Load Levelers, Auto-dim Mirrors, HU803, Wood Steering.

Arrow Imported post

Driving Oslo-Voss-Bergen Part 2.

The following will be the shortest route in distance (although there are some choices of different ways to go), but it crosses some mountains areas were weather can be a factor. The XC however will be capable to handle any condition as long as the road-department keep the roads open. They guarantee the conditions to be drivable and keeps a good control of those particular streches of road. If you are in Norway, you call 175 for road information(english service available). From outside Norway, call +47 815 48 991.

So start again in Oslo-E18-Sandvika-E16-Hønefoss-Rv7-Nesbyen-Rv7-Gol. In Gol you have 3 choices.

2a: Gol-7-Short Ferrytrip-7-E16-Bergen. This is considdered "The scenic road choice".Going to Voss you have to follow 13 after ferry.(Ferry runs approx. every 40min)This is the shortest distance to Bergen, but routing via Voss makes it a little longer.

2b: Gol-52-E16-Voss-E16-Bergen(almost same dist as 2c)

2c: Gol-7-Hol-50-E16-Voss-E16-Bergen (400km to Voss)

So my choice would be 2a, but it depends on what you like to see, and I will try to come back with that in Part 3 later today or tomorrow morning.

Unfortunaly most attractions like museums, gallery's etc are closed in winter. But skiresort's are open along the route(plenty of them too ), and view's are there for free. Medio may including august would be perfect time to go(june-july beeing main season).

Something to look at, Geirangerfjorden. (Webcam so it will be dark during night in Norway)

XC70Viking's album

Default Have a look at this post!

XC70Viking's album

Takk for inbydelsen!

Every year we go north and every year it is like comming home again. I have lived in Norway 1 year and reckon it as being the shortest year in my life.

So I think I will take the invitation and visit you summer 2005!
    Douwe
    [email protected]

2008 Volvo XC90 D5 VOR

You are most welcome. We plan to be home all summer. How about a trip to Lofoten?
    XC70Viking's album

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123