Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Imported post

ZF is a company.  They make the parts for Volvo's new steering unit.  ZF on the XC70 is indeed the same as the steering on the XC90.  The variable speed is an option.  The ZF standard steering gets very high remarks for its accuracy and swift response.  the variable speed option is one of those comfort things.... to make backing out of the grocery store parking space easier for those who think off roading in the XC90 is taking the car to the uptown grocery store.    Maybe I'm taking that a little too far, but isn't that your impression?  Comfort can be taken to extremes.  "Floaty"  haven't we heard that before?
    Current Volvos
    2012 XC70, OSD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso
    2008 C70, OSD, Celestial Blue/Cream Sovereign

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black
    2006 S60R Black Sapphire/Nordkap
    2003 XC70, OSD, Ash/Espresso
    2000 S40, Ice White/Black

Default Imported post

Went to place final order on 2004 today since my order was returned by osd til price list was available.  It had 2003 pricing but showed bi-xenon lights and zenia wheel as options but did not show reverse radar as an option--dealer was calling Jason to find out if I could order it. Barry--wooden steering wheel was on list for $245.
    2010 XC60 3.2AWD; 2004 XC70 OSD both models

Default Imported post

Lowtide
    I agree completely that the variable speed ZF is "mushy" or "floaty" as you put it, I like to have the feel of what I am doing when steering. (will never be "old enough" for a Cadillac)
    2004 stuff:
    re: zenia wheels, does anyone have a picture of these yet ? Dealer is trying for me so I can finalize my '04 order. I am very glad the bi-xenons are truly an option, love them on our Audi

will be glad when the ordering is done and all I have to do is plan my trip to Sweden  
    '04 Ruby, sand, prem pkg, tour pkg, xenon, DST, xenia wheels, OSD

Default Imported post

The steering on my 03 XC is disgusting! In high speed turns it actually wanders and the vehicle will not track in a constant radius. Volvo should apologise to every purchaser for offering such a poor and possibly unsafe system. When a 04 XC becomes available, I will compare the steering, but as of now, I stand on my original conclusion reached after driving the 03 200 miles. BTW the throttle response it still awful in my opinion.
    I for one am pissed that Volvo even offered the 03 model rather than waiting to fix the steering and offer XE headlights. All they wanted to do was to work thru the inventory of parts and as soon as they did that, they changed model 04 years to try to make it seem that there were no serious problems. The 03 is the worst XC model I have ever driven and I am stuck with a Limited Edition piece of Crap. IF I purchase another, it will be with better steering, throttle and 4C suspension but probably not at all. Another example of a company only caring about the bottom line! -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Default Imported post

Hate to say this Dick, but this is the normal Volvo way of doing things. The issue now is that they are changing the cars at a faster rate than they used to, so there is a smaller and smaller window of opportunity where you can purchase a vehicle that has a good chance of being "design flaw" free - and reliable.
    MY2002 - V70XC
    Nautic Blue/Graphite

Default Imported post

Sorry about the rant but in the last week I have wandered out of my lane at 80+ mph on a high speed long radius turn and snapped my neck coming out of a slow corner when I just did not concentrate on the miserable throttle. I have written to volvo charachterising the steering and throttle as safety hazards. I'm going to the dealership and try to learn if there are any software fixes for the throttle. I assume the steering is hopeless. I also learned not to order a new model year until I drive the vehicle for that model year. I drove an 02 and did not encounter these problems although I was concentrating on off road performance(corn fields). -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Default Imported post

Now you are making me nervous. We drove the '02 for a weekend and loved it. We have not tested the '03, I was not aware of any changes except the AWD.

Kersti
    '08 Oyster Gray XC70 DSTC Front/Rear Park Assist, Rear 12V.

Default Imported post

mrb wrote:</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Barry--wooden steering wheel was on list for &#036;245.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

At this time I&#39;m still very hopeful I&#39;ll get the wood steering wheel for my XC70 MY2003 at the FDC. I&#39;m waiting for confirmation from FDC staff that they will accommodate me as I did have it on my original dealership OSD order writeup. It&#39;s been a NO(VCNA) then YES(FDC) and then NO(VCNA) and now conspicuous silence from all parties accept that Jason did send me a very nice pic of the wood steering wheel&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; which leads me to hope for the best --- what a snafu &nbsp;
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Default Imported post

And which wheel was oin the pic?

Dick- sorry to hear about your frustration. &nbsp;I am quite surprised, as the steering for the 03XC was supposed to be tighter and refined. &nbsp;Would the ZF be a drastic improvement? &nbsp;Not likely. &nbsp;Volvo is certainly tuning the cars for comfort, not a sport-tuned response. &nbsp;Personally, I was pretty satisfied with the tuning on the 03XC, it felt like it tracked better than the 02XC I first drove. &nbsp;The ZF steering on the XC90 I was not impressed with. &nbsp;The specs are very similar and the response was still tuned for a touring car. &nbsp;Guessing that the 04 you&#39;ll likely find the same.
    Current Volvos
    2012 XC70, OSD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso
    2008 C70, OSD, Celestial Blue/Cream Sovereign

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black
    2006 S60R Black Sapphire/Nordkap
    2003 XC70, OSD, Ash/Espresso
    2000 S40, Ice White/Black

Default Imported post

Low Tide wrote</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And which wheel was oin the pic?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The 4-spoke wood/leather one -- same as for the S80 that my friend has. Mind you, I prefer the three spoke one
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast