Arrow Imported post

Greetings everyone.

I live close to Lillehammer in Norway and have winter 6months of the year. I have been looking for a wagon replacement of my current car (VW Passat TDI Syncro) and You guy's convinced me. I ended up ordering:

2004 XC70 D5 (as posted diesel is popular in Europe and fuel cheaper)

Mistral green metalic w/oak interrior and aluminum trim.

DSTC
    Bi-Xenon
    3 piece backseat w/boster seats
    Tinted windows
    Timer on fuel driven block/cabin heater
    Tellus rim's for winter and Xenia for summer
    HU-803 Premium sound Dolby pro logic (anyone have experiance with the different sound systems?)
    + all standard equipment in scandinavian package.

Now I have to wait 2 months to get the car

When testdriving I liked:

How it handels on icy roads
    Sitting higher than in my Passat
    Automatic transmission was a dream to drive (Its my first car with automatic transmission)
    The smothness and the sound of 163hp diesel power humming under the hood.

What I didn't like:
    Don't know yet, but I have gotten a lot of things to look for thru this forum. I have had 4 VW's before and this will be my first Volvo.

Thanks everyone for contributing to my choice.
    2004 XC70 D5 Mistral Green Metalic delivered on 24th february -04,
    and volvoXC.com sticker is in its place....
    XC70Viking's album

Default Imported post

Lillehammer, home of the Winter Olympics '94, what a wonderful place, clean crisp air. Wow.

Welcome to our site XC70V

I am glad that we have convinced another Worldwide member to join us. Don't take everything to heart, I know I throw a few spanners in the works but I enjoy seeing what makes people tick  I could mention bull bars again but the rest are still getting over the last posting I did.  

I would like to see a lovely clear photograph of your car against a snowy backdrop as M-Green is a wonderful colour.

One last thing, have you ordered your fog/headlight covers?, I think you will see most of us agree they are a must vs. the replacement cost of the light units

Keep on posting

Default Imported post

Looking forward to you posting some pictures--loved our time in Norway--beautiful country --- your wait will go fast and will allow you do "dream"
    2010 XC60 3.2AWD; 2004 XC70 OSD both models

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Imported post

Howdy Viking. Owning a horse and living in Calgary, I can get away that style of welcome.

Nice to see you here and we look forward to hearing your news. This time of the year its cold and snowy in the Rocky mountains as well. Those electrical seat warmers sure get a workout in our part of the world.
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Default Imported post

Hello XC70Viking !
    Welcome ! After being a VW owner my self for many years, I would never go back ! I wish we could get the diesel here too ! It is my 1st automatic in 30 years and I must admit I like it most of the time, but in snow I want stick !
    Hope they don't salt the roads in Norway, so yours never looks like mine does now. I wanted to get to your country last June, but 5 days was not enough. Out next OSD will be 2-3 weeks in Scandanavia !
    Welcome, hope your wait goes quickly
    cheers
      Ruby  
    '04 Ruby, sand, prem pkg, tour pkg, xenon, DST, xenia wheels, OSD

Default Imported post

Thanks everyone for a warm welcome.

When it comes to Bull Bars, I see your point....
    Fog/headlight covers I haven't seen or thought of. Here the law says you have to have lights on when you drive, so if they cover up your headlights, that wont work. I guess foglight covers would be something to look for ......

Yes, they put salt on the road here to, and a lot. Then when the temp is below freezing you cant really hose your car when you get home after driving. I have to visit lokal gas station and pay 15$ to wash it inside a heated hall

Heated seats sure make it comfy. I had that on my previous cars and in addition XC70 have a fuel driven heater on the D5 version since diesel engine doesent produce enough heat in cold weather.

I can't wait to taking pictures of my XC too. I will make sure some end up here.

To all OSD's planning to go this way: Give me a hint and I will be glad to help you in any way I can. It is really nice around here for those loving nature. For city slickers, better head on south. I saw some great pictures from Switzerland in the photogallery. Makes me want to go there.

I wish I could get OSD from US, but they dont make Volvo there
    2004 XC70 D5 Mistral Green Metalic delivered on 24th february -04,
    and volvoXC.com sticker is in its place....
    XC70Viking's album

Default Krona

Yes, and in Norway your car costs a fortune.....even if from next door in Sweden.
    Steve
    StevePv5441957

Default Welcome home Viking

But why do you have to wait 2 months for a 2004 car?

I thought waiting lists are for new cars!

Hey I've been to Oslo two or three times in the 80ies.
    I lived in London back then.
    An English friend of mine worked for Citibank there and everytime he had a party I was invited and entrusted to smuggle the booze in.......!
    I was young and confident..... (whatever!)
    The first time I didnt know of the restrictions and when the young guy at passport control asked me if I had anything to declare, I just said "well Im going to a party so I have 2 bottles of whisky, 2 bottles of gin, 2 bottles of Vodka, a tekila, a couple of Dom Perignons and my clothes."
    Amazingly (for a northerner) the guy said that it was OK to pass but did I mind leaving the one Dom Perignon behind?

Ha Ha ... and I thought only us Greeks do such things.
    I guess he had a party too later on.

Photos below: Lillehammer? No Greece!!!
    Volvo ergo sum (or something like that...)
    '04 XC70, 2.5T, Momentum
    Silver/charcoal

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    But why do you have to wait 2 months for a 2004 car?

I thought waiting lists are for new cars!
    Check the date of his post.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

So, what's topical?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennhaven
    Check the date of his post.
    2001 XC silver/brown-taupe. All the bells and whistles.
    Nokian WR 235-60-16

1975 Mercedes 450 SL silver/black