Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wiggle under acceleration

Greetings!
    I have a 2004 xc70 with approx 230,000 mile.
    Recently, I have noticed slight ‘wiggling’ as I accelerate. It is only under load that it wiggles....
    Normal driving is fine, no clicking when turning etc.....
    Please any help would be appreciated
    I have only had the car for a few months, getting ready for a well deserved vacation..
    I am in the Phoenix AZ area
    Kind regards
    Lyle

With those miles and if they haven't been done for awhile, my guess would be front A-arm bushes. Being worn, the arms will shift position slightly under acceleration, and deceleration for that matter, changing alignment resulting in the "wiggle" you are feeling.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    With those miles and if they haven't been done for awhile, my guess would be front A-arm bushes. Being worn, the arms will shift position slightly under acceleration, and deceleration for that matter, changing alignment resulting in the "wiggle" you are feeling.
    Agree. Similar experience with mine - steering wheel would tug to side when coming to a stop. There was free play in control arm bushings. Fixed with replacement.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

Have you inspected all 5 motor mounts for evidence of wear?

Ooo something new to check... I don’t have access to a hoist or anything . Just trying to Sort out potential before I go in to shop and possibly get screwed! The motor mounts sound logical as there is no tracking problems..... and it does not ‘wiggle’ on deceleration

Thanks again!

Thanks for the info.... my steering wheel does not tug. And there is no pull from one side to the other.... maybe motor mounts? This is my first Volvo and I have heaps to learn!
    Thanks again for your thoughts
    Lyle

Depends on gow would you describe a wiggle? If guess worn front axles if it's under acceleration.

Yes, define "wiggle".

At this mileage, besides regular springs/struts/shocks/LCA bushings/tie rods every 100k miles, you are looking at replacing all bushings attached to front and rear subframes and suspension links.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Thanks I’ll have to get this checked!
    Regards
    Lyle

Hi, I have a 2005 XC90 AWD 2.5T with 175K miles. Recent problem is as I see here. I actually have a fairly hard pull to the left when I apply the brake at high(er) speeds - probably all speeds but more noticeable when faster. I am also hearing a bang/rattle from the center of the car under the dash when going over bumps...and when I hit accelerator hard I feel a bit of a shudder. Not, I can get the wheels off the ground but only one at a time. There may be several things going on here and I see control arm bushings as well as subframe bushings mentioned. Is there an easy way to check each of these w/o getting the entire vehicle up in the air? How about replacement - big jobs or manageable one wheel at a time? thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast