Default Did the AC compressor clutch gap fix with zipties

So my turn for the AC to basically stop working once the car warmed up. My wife complained of no AC, and my 2004 has 220K, so I suspected it was a worn clutch on the compressor. Measured the gap and it was way above recommended. Rooted around the web and decided to go for the ziptie version of the fix rather than the bread clip or other shim, or actually pulling a shim out of the clutch. Access from the top sucks, as you probably know.

So pulled the RF wheel, peeled back the wheel well liner as much as I could, and I could get just enough access to be able to thread in 1 ziptie in each section of the clutch plate, total of 3. Sort of hugging the brake disk and stretching to use both hands, but it worked. Open the gap with a screw driver and thread in the tie, pull it tight, and clip it off.

Been working great now for about 3 weeks, through some of the hottest days of the summer. I could imagine that a dealer would want to put a new compressor on, and an indy would probably pull the clutch and delete a shim, either way would cost a fair bit. I love it when there is a good jury rig fix like this which costs basically nothing.
    Objects in closer are mirror than they appear.

Did my clutch too a couple of weeks ago by measuring and deleting the necessary shims, just less than a afternoons work and not a major problem, the only expense is the clutch tool $45, just remove the fan shroud, slip a piece of cardboard over the radiator to protect it, unbolt the compressor, apply the tool, unbolt the clutch after measuring the clearance, and remove the shim, bolt it back together, took not too much amount of time. It did need a new serpentine belt so no reason not do both?. Too easy not to do it correctly.
    Last edited by AKAMick; 08-19-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Zip tie fix might last. Might not.

Fixed mine by re-shimming. Been good for years.

Take a look: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...Astro14+Clutch

Also, just noticed this kit from FCP. A Volvo compressor clutch shim kit.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...volvo-31332161
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    Did my clutch too a couple of weeks ago by measuring and deleting the necessary shims, just less than a afternoons work and not a major problem, the only expense is the clutch tool $45, just remove the fan shroud, slip a piece of cardboard over the radiator to protect it, unbolt the compressor, apply the tool, unbolt the clutch after measuring the clearance, and remove the shim, bolt it back together, took not too much amount of time. It did need a new serpentine belt so no reason not do both?. Too easy not to do it correctly.
    You don't need an expensive tool, you can just screw 3 bolts in through access holes on the side of the compressor and it pops right off. Done in on two cars now, no problem.

+1 for zip ties - Mine are attached on the loops themselves - They're not coming off and face in a direction with little to no heat. Practically zero cost is worth the time saved and years it might take for them to come off on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    You don't need an expensive tool, you can just screw 3 bolts in through access holes on the side of the compressor and it pops right off. Done in on two cars now, no problem.
    Yes, you could do it without the tool as the fastening torque of the center bolt is not that high, a 1/4 drive ratchet is all that is needed to remove it, but as i have two XC's and i prefer doing things correctly and have used it on many other model cars, that were a bit more of a "bugger" to do as the Volvo.