Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2006 xc 70 torx for serpentine belt

I've a bunch on this and concluded a T55 was what is needed to replace my serpentine belt.
    So I got one.
    Turns out it is too big. Is my xc70 just special? I'm trying not to go buy a whole set of torx to get one. But hey, I do need to replace the belt.
    Any ideas?

I happen to have a brand new INA (supposedly OEM) tensioner in the garage, for my '07. Just checked, and it uses a T60.

A whole set of Torx comes in very handy on this car....

I'm starting to think that too. I'll be ordering the tool for the serpentine belt too. Seems my flat ratchet isn't flat enough. It will come in handy for my wife's Hyundai too.

Harbor Freight has a serpentine tensioner tool that works well enough with a HF torx socket on it, sort of a universal model but it gets in there and does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    Harbor Freight has a serpentine tensioner tool that works well enough with a HF torx socket on it, sort of a universal model but it gets in there and does the job.
    Yep. It's a pain to change without one. Regular breaker bars, ratchet handles, box wrenches, etc. all get in the way.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

I have the tool from Harbor Freight. But the dang torx head is too long. Still can't get it down in where it goes. So the search begins now for a torx set that is a half inch shorter. Basically only the length of the star, no blank.

Is it possible/worth it to try to grind down the torx head to a workable length with a cutoff tool? I just got my hands on an 07. The serp belt looks to be in good shape but I can see how close the clearance is in there. My 02 has a nut that you can easily grab with a wrench to move the pulley back.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

I've seen T55 and T60 on various tensioner over the years. I can just get a 1/2" breaker with the torx bit in between the frame rail and tensioner. A ratchet head will not fit, too thick. Often takes a couple of tries to get the right "swing". If the handle of the breaker is too close to the front, you won't get enough tension off the belt to remove it...

I've looked at some of those flat metal bar stock tensioner tools, and they look much thinner than my breaker bar, except I don't see how they would accommodate a Torx...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

My 02 and 04 both fit the HF tensioner tool fitted with a HF regular torx socket, the second section of the tool fitted on the back of the handle arm, works quite well in that configuration, 06 must be a different set up.
    Last edited by AKAMick; 08-19-2018 at 08:19 AM.

Just did this, this weekend. Used a 3/8" breaker bar with a T60 socket, then put a the box end of a 17mm wrench over the handle for additional leverage. A piece of pipe would have been ideal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast