Question 15.5 xc70 "keyless drive" - disable possible? Any way to get in-car manual out?

Got upgraded from 11'xc70 to 15.5 xc70. Same car, totally different user interface. So far, not sure which better, except that new one does better job bluetoothing with my phone.
    It has the same pocket on the dashboard for the key, but it does not lock the key in it like the 11' used to, making it totally possible to walk away with the key and leaving engine running and doors unlocked. Is there a way to change that behavior? Or at least enable some sort of warning?

Instead of explaining the features Owner's manual explains how to navigate the on-screen manual in the car. Is there any way to get that out to read outside of the car? As a .pdf file or similar? I have installed Volvo Owner's manual App on my Android phone, but after selecting year/model it returns "Unknown server error"

Quote Originally Posted by 740gle View Post
    making it totally possible to walk away with the key and leaving engine running and doors unlocked. Is there a way to change that behavior? some sort of warning?
    Yes you can walk away with the engine running and the car unlocked, there is a warning in the cluster that the key is not in range - but you don't see it since you have the key in your pocket.

Talking to the airport parking lot guys - people leave cars (all brands) that will sit and idle for days until they run out of gas, happens all the time with newer cars. Valets have the same problem, no key = Car won't start later

Guess that's one of the drawbacks of modern cars with keyless entry.

I seem to forget to lock my 2015 since I never have to take the key out of my pocket I guess I could actually push a button on the remote to unlock, then put the key in the slot before starting, then push the off button and remove the key and push a button on the remote to lock the car. But that would be too much trouble

So much easier to walk up to the car with the key in your pocket, the door you are standing next to will unlock and open, you sit down and push the start button, drive away and push the start button again to stop the engine when you are done, exit the car then push any outside door lock button when all doors are closed to lock the car.

Convenient but different from earlier cars.

You can purchase a printed 392 page owners manual from volvotechinfo.com for your car if you don't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Yes you can walk away with the engine running and the car unlocked, there is a warning in the cluster that the key is not in range - but you don't see it since you have the key in your pocket.

Convenient but different from earlier cars.

You can purchase a printed 392 page owners manual from volvotechinfo.com for your car if you don't have one.
    Yes, that key accident happened to me at the hotel with the valet parking just last spring when we were on vacation with a rental car. That's why I HATE this feature....
    Wondering if there is a way to put a module from the older MY', that actually locked the key in the slot?
    Kind of a workaround is to have Locking Confirmation enabled, and if it's in the dark it will still have the driving lights on if it's set to 'Auto'.

Thanks for the info on the manual! I see it now - there are different versions of the Owner's Manual for 15.5' xc70? Booklet, that came with the car is only 168 pages, about 1/3 size of the one I had for 11' xc70 :-(. It only explains how to navigate the on-board manual. The 392 pages Owner's manual version is actually available to download as a pdf from https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/manua...5.5/model/XC70 as well as the Sensus and other manuals.
    Last edited by 740gle; 08-01-2018 at 03:32 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by 740gle View Post
    Wondering if there is a way to put a module from the older MY', that actually locked the key in the slot?
    The earlier ignition switches (module with locking slot for the key) would go bad and either the key would get stuck or the car would not start or start erratically. Last one I replaced cost about $650 which includes a software download to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    the earlier ignition switches (module with locking slot for the key) would go bad and either the key would get stuck or the car would not start or start erratically. Last one i replaced cost about $650 which includes a software download to make it work.
    ouch....

Spending money "upgrading" from 11'xc70 to 13'xc70 with CPO instead of keeping it and may be doing some things myself becomes more and more justified every day...