Default XC70 D4 vs D5 and FWD vs AWD

I currently have a leased 2010 D5 AWD XC70 that is soon going back to the lease company and I'm looking to replace it with another - I will probably purchase this time. Does anyone here have experience of the D4 engine versus the D5? If I switch to the D4 I am likely to notice the lower power output much, given that I don't tow and I always choose automatics, so am not looking to put my foot down and race around? I also have a steep gravel drive and often take my car across fields to meet farmers as part of my job. Obviously AWD comes at a cost on the road, though - more tyre wear and fuel consumption. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by ih5288 View Post
    I currently have a leased 2010 D5 AWD XC70 that is soon going back to the lease company and I'm looking to replace it with another - I will probably purchase this time. Does anyone here have experience of the D4 engine versus the D5? If I switch to the D4 I am likely to notice the lower power output much, given that I don't tow and I always choose automatics, so am not looking to put my foot down and race around? I also have a steep gravel drive and often take my car across fields to meet farmers as part of my job. Obviously AWD comes at a cost on the road, though - more tyre wear and fuel consumption. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    While I have a 2010 XC70 D5 SE AWD Manual, (205BHP) and I tow. It has been the best Volvo I have had in over 45 years of owning and driving Volvo's and I am still enjoying driving this one, even with over 100,000 miles on the clock, so no chance of looking for a replacement, especially as it is currently returning 50MPG when driving solo.

However what I would say is look for a D4 and also a D5 and ask for a Test Drive of both.
    That way you will 'feel' the difference for yourself, then you can make up your mind to what you would like.
    Good luck!