Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by T-Hol View Post
    hard pull to the left when I apply the brake
    Front brake job required. Likely cause is warped rotor but could also be a failing caliper and/or air in lines.

bang/rattle from the center of the car under the dash when going over bumps
    This is failed strut mount. Time to do a full front suspension

when I hit accelerator hard I feel a bit of a shudder.
    This likely failing front passengers axle and/or engine mounts

Is there an easy way to check each of these w/o getting the entire vehicle up in the air?
    Only need to get the front of the car in the air - Jack and two jack stands

big jobs or manageable one wheel at a time?
    Jobs are doable if you have tools and inclination... if all of these common repairs are occurring I would ask yourself about other common service requirements like PCV system.

"hard pull to the left when I apply the brake"

I had a hard pull to the left when I had a bad rear bushing in a control arm. Just another possibility.

My 2004 with 175K miles vibrates on acceleration, too. It feels like a tire moderately out of balance. It's smooth on cruise and decel. Another XC70 oddity to chase down.

BTW, My bang/rattle in the middle of the dash when hitting bumps turned out to be sway bar end links, a $50 fix for Moogs. I had previously spent $700 for parts to replace all 5 motor mounts chasing the problem, that didn't help a thing.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Default Update to 9/10 post

Thanks for all of the replies - really appreciate it! An update on my issues are as follows:

hard pull to the left when I apply the brake
    --This turned out to be a bad caliper, one was stuck, replaced both as well as lines, power bleed and all good!

bang/rattle from the center of the car under the dash when going over bumps
    --This was sway bar bushings, pretty obvious when weight was off, replaced and no more bang! Strut mounts are on the list but seemed OK.

when I hit accelerator hard I feel a bit of a shudder.
    --No update but seems to have disappeared...possibly related to other work above but time will tell...?

I will say that control arm bushings were intact, but probably need to be replaced soon - as well as ball joints. The PVC update is teed up now. Getting oil leaks at the front and rear main as well as MAF soft error code....

Do the rear sway bar links too. I did mine just because it was only $50 and I got a thrill out of cheap Volvo work, but they actually quieted a thump I thought was my hatch.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Default Will do

Good call on the rear links, will get to those ASAP as they do look a bit rusty and worn. In the meantime I picked up a 'creampuff' 2001 XC70 with 116K miles on it, pristine interior but in need of work so I will be training my guns on that for the next few weekends I think! Thanks again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12