Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yet another VIDA/DICE question

All-

With the help of 1moretech on ebay, I got VIDA up and running on my 2001 V70XC.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Working-in-...s/162521223111

It successfully reads the vehicle profile of my car and the error codes, but when I can't get the vehicle communication feature in the diagnostics tab to work, however.

I click on the green boxes, but nothing happens.

Is this a problem with my DICE?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nothing_happens.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	8504

Do you have the car running? I get communication problems without the engine running. It seems odd that it can communicate long enough to cycle thru the different modules to check for codes but you can't communicate directly with individual modules. I've been on VIDA a lot lately communicating with the TCM module. I pretty much do the same thing every time:

Logon with "1"
    Click DEFINE VEHICLE TYPE
    Select my car which is listed and wait for it to load in the fields above and then click "OK".
    Click the DIAGNOSTICS tab above and then click VEHICLE COMMUNICATION tab

At this point, I get a popup screen which says Verifying VIN. If you look at your DiCE unit, you should see a few different lights flashing. (Once I got all 4 lights blinking in unision and a communication error on screen. I exited VIDA, unplugged everything, plugged DiCE cord into laptop, started and logged in VIDA, plugged into OBDII port and was able to communicate.) After the VIN is verified, I get a prompt to "Update" or "Cancel". I usually choose Cancel. Now I can go to the flow chart in your pic, click on TCM, and from there be able to access trans data. I guess this is the point you get to where you wait and wait but the word "TCM" never appears in the lower frame? Maybe follow my exact steps and if you still get nothing, something would seem to be not right.

EDIT: I'm not sure but maybe the "Verifying VIN" popup comes after I click the Diagnostics tab. Then I choose "Cancel" and click Vehicle Information. Then I click on TCM box.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Quote Originally Posted by Xfingers View Post
    Do you have the car running? I get communication problems without the engine running. It seems odd that it can communicate long enough to cycle thru the different modules to check for codes but you can't communicate directly with individual modules. I've been on VIDA a lot lately communicating with the TCM module. I pretty much do the same thing every time:

Logon with "1"
    Click DEFINE VEHICLE TYPE
    Select my car which is listed and wait for it to load in the fields above and then click "OK".
    Click the DIAGNOSTICS tab above and then click VEHICLE COMMUNICATION tab

At this point, I get a popup screen which says Verifying VIN. If you look at your DiCE unit, you should see a few different lights flashing. (Once I got all 4 lights blinking in unision and a communication error on screen. I exited VIDA, unplugged everything, plugged DiCE cord into laptop, started and logged in VIDA, plugged into OBDII port and was able to communicate.) After the VIN is verified, I get a prompt to "Update" or "Cancel". I usually choose Cancel. Now I can go to the flow chart in your pic, click on TCM, and from there be able to access trans data. I guess this is the point you get to where you wait and wait but the word "TCM" never appears in the lower frame? Maybe follow my exact steps and if you still get nothing, something would seem to be not right.

EDIT: I'm not sure but maybe the "Verifying VIN" popup comes after I click the Diagnostics tab. Then I choose "Cancel" and click Vehicle Information. Then I click on TCM box.
    It looks like he's got the car running,at the top right it shows the voltage & position II.

2005 XC70 - 50/35 Tint, Yakima Rack

I also have the virtual machine from 1moretech. I'm not at my car right now, but I just opened the VM. Going to Diagnostics, vehicle communication, and clicking on TCM does give me a drop down menu of selectable features in the lower left part of the screen. Just providing that info for you.

I got my DiCE on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-VIDA-...72.m2749.l2649
    The unit is currently listed at $79.99, but when I bought it, it was $57.99

Hope this is helpful...Also, Andrew Marsh (1MoreTech) has been a very helpful provider of customer service to me, not sure if you've dropped him an email with this issue, but that might be a way towards resolution also.

Quote Originally Posted by Xfingers View Post
    Do you have the car running?
    Yep, car was running.

I e-mailed Andrew Marsh (1MoreTech), and he suggested I ask you guys.

I'll try it again today.

Forgot to mention that I'm running the VM on Parallels on a MacBook Pro. Not sure if that is part of the problem.

The DICE connects to the Mac via a USB 3 dongle.

I am sick of writing a definitive reply only to find on attempting to post that I'm logged out. You need to read up on how to setup a VM and allow USB and loopback, need 80+GB HDD virtual space and 3-4 MB RAM min then install drivers for DiCE look in startup menu for the DiCE program. It's a royal pain because Windows is **** end of.
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

Quote Originally Posted by nickbw View Post
    You need to read up on how to setup a VM and allow USB and loopback, .
    The VM I used was already set up by 1moretech (see my previous post).

I'm able to get DICE to communicate via the USB port, and I can read and clear error codes. I just can't get the vehicle communication feature in the diagnostics tab to work.

What is "loopback"?

Loopback is the IP address 127.0.0.1 not a part of the Internet Your drivers are not correctly installed period.
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

Put 12v DC to the dice while you are using it and watch the LEDs on DiCE the blue will flash but this is just bull**** (there is no bluetooth circuitry on knock off dice) but the amber should flash when the communicating. You say you can read and clear codes so there it is not a communication problem in the sense the car can be read. Are you refreshing all modules and then selecting clear all codes first? There are bugs in Vida the version I use swears my 01 has not got several items such as self-locking and rain sensors, it has. There's another VM including Volvo Vida available to download for Mac - I found it last January - if you have a fast internet service you can download it and try it instead. I run it with VM ware fusion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast