Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default newly licensed kid slides off into fire hydrant, need to know what to replace

Hello,

My sweet baby girl got her license and within days cracked up the XC. I took it to a shop for the cosmetic work which I don't like to and I'm not good at, she looks great now, but the steering wheel is about 20 degrees to the left for her to go straight. The shop said I needed a control arm and over at Belle Tire they said she needed that and some sort of knuckle.

The control arm seems reasonable enough and I think I will do the tie rod ends inner and outer and the sway bar link while I'm in there. Belle Tire wanted to replace that steering knuckle; that's an expensive part and I can't see anything wrong with it with my eye. So one question I have is how to I know I need to replace this knuckle?

The 2nd question involves the driveshaft. On the drivers side it has a large rubber (I think) bushing around it, and this is absent from the passenger side. Is it just that the passenger side is missing or is there some larger issue here?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0067.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	8502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0066.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	8503

I attached pics of both sides.

Any input will be appreciated, thanks!
    current lineup: 2001 Volvo v70 2.4 Turbo, 2014 Ford Flex AWD, 3.5 V6 Turbo, 2017 F-150 3.5 V6 Turbo

As to your 2nd question I don't believe the passenger side has the large bushing you are referring to.
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Driver side has the big weight/bushing. Passenger side doesn't. Always been that way.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Thanks good news on the bushings.

As for the other question. I’m out of alignment since the bang and I’m Not sure which components to replace. Shop said control arm. Belle tire said inner and outer tie rod ends and steering knuckle (expensive). Everything but one boot on a bar that connects to the control arm looks fine to me. How can one tell what is bent? I’d just replace everything but that gets expensive.

Any advice will be great thank you.
    current lineup: 2001 Volvo v70 2.4 Turbo, 2014 Ford Flex AWD, 3.5 V6 Turbo, 2017 F-150 3.5 V6 Turbo

You can do it in stages. Do the control arm and complete tie rod. Take it for alignment and see if it will align within spec. If not, then suspect a bent knuckle. But, the strut could also bend and need replacement. Going with a salvage steering knuckle is a good option. It's a robust part that's not going to go bad with normal use. Just make sure the car hasn't been hit on the side you get the knuckle from. I just did a salvage knuckle on another of my cars. Ran over a spare tire and wheel lying in the freeway exit lane of my home exit. Bent the knuckle.

Brett

Ok that’s what I’m gunna do. The control arm and tie rod (and sway bar link since I already have one). If that doesn’t do it I’ll try to get better pics and ask if I should do knuckle or strut first. I do have spring compressors which I assume I’d need for strut. I bought then when I was doing a shock absorber on a VW golf.

I’ll post back when I’ve done the first part. Hopefully next weekend.

Gian

The risk is you may have to pay for 2 alignments. A salvage knuckle will be reasonably cheap. I would expect around $50 maybe. That may make the knuckle cheaper than a 2nd alignment, in which case it may make sense to just do the knuckle, control arm, and tie rod and only have to pay for 1 alignment (well, as long as the strut is OK). If you're not interested in salvage parts, then probably take your chances on just the control arm and tie rod first... Your call.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by drgian View Post
    The shop said I needed a control arm and over at Belle Tire they said some sort of knuckle.
    The most common suspension component that gets bent when a Volvo wheel gets hit from the side is the strut. Sometimes the tie rod will bend.

The control arm is a chunk of aluminum - hard to bend, and the steering knuckle is a chunk of steel. It's possible the steering arm on the knuckle got bent (the tie rod is smaller and would be weaker). If it is you might be able to adjust the toe to correct for the bend.

A bent strut will cause the camber to be off - negative- tilted in at the top of the tire - and usually is visible. Try to compare the left and right camber (stand behind the car 30 or 40 feet and see if the front tires look to be at the same angle as the rear tires) You can also measure and compare the distances between the inside of the tire and the struts. The tire rubs if the strut is bent enough.

I'm glad it was a minor accident for the new driver

I realize that you want to save money but THIS IS THE FRONT SUSPENSION
    Fix the entire side, do it once and repair it the right way.
    This is your child, are you going to cheap out repairing a very important part of HER vehicle!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    I realize that you want to save money but THIS IS THE FRONT SUSPENSION
    Fix the entire side, do it once and repair it the right way.
    This is your child, are you going to cheap out repairing a very important part of HER vehicle!
    No one is recommending that he leave damaged parts in the car. I'm not sure what your point is.
    Brett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast