Thread: Abs

Default Abs

If you have a veteran PS2 then good for you, they are more durable than many give them credit for, but I would caution everyone to include the ABS system in your normal service. Take the trouble to investigate the state of the reluctor rings/tone rings and change them out for new before problems occurr. My O1 has 160K on the clock it has been totally dependable but latey I have been getting ABS faults. My investigations have shown this is due to excessive corrosion /splitting of reluctor rings/tone rings. The problem is almost never the sensor, it is the corroded state of the reluctor ring. The cost of this part is immaterial, replacing is a bit more work but if you are systematic and disciplined you can do it at a fraction of the cost of Volvo service. My opinion is this should be a service item at 100k and up just like PCV service. Please dont wait until your vehicle starts throwwing DTCs before you act. Prevention is so much easier and less costly than cure. It is also much less frustrating!

Just a thought or observation - Serviced and repaired ex's Citroen C1 (not a joke) I was interested to see that the reluctor rings (tone ring) are hidden away and protected by a cuf like moulding on the rear face of the hub carrier. Volvo did they miss a trick?
    Last edited by nickbw; 01-09-2018 at 04:43 AM.
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

Quote Originally Posted by nickbw View Post
    If you have a veteran PS2 then good for you, they are more durable than many give them credit for, but I would caution everyone to include the ABS system in your normal service. Take the trouble to investigate the state of the reluctor rings/tone rings and change them out for new before problems occur. My O1 has 160K on the clock it has been totally dependable but latey I have been getting ABS faults. My investigations have shown this is due to excessive corrosion /splitting of reluctor rings/tone rings. The problem is almost never the sensor, it is the corroded state of the reluctor ring. The cost of this part is immaterial, replacing is a bit more work but if you are systematic and disciplined you can do it at a fraction of the cost of Volvo service. My opinion is this should be a service item at 100k and up just like PCV service. Please dont wait until your vehicle starts throwing DTCs before you act. Prevention is so much easier and less costly than cure. It is also much less frustrating!
    I do agree with this recommendation as I had to replace the reluctor rings on both of my XC's as they started throwing ABS codes and the cruise control operation was erratic, it is almost never the sensors, you get to check the hubs in the process as you can do the work through the hub opening in the upright,

There is a registered copy of VIDA 2014A in the form of a Windows_7_Pro Virtual Machine available from SweedSpeed in the form of a 7Zip file. It is quite a small file and the member obligingly provides 7Zip utility too. I have made a desktop with 4GB RAM and a 3.6GHz processor and HD monitor into a workstation exclusively for Vida. The amount of information provided is truly amazing and the wide screen display and diagnostic capabilities - even with a knock off Chines clone for DiCE is frankly a must have. In all the years of spending money on my own cars and servicing (and lately my daughter's) this has been the BEST investment ever. Here is the link :- http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...oad-Link/page2
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver