Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    Before everyone goes off on the "doom and gloom" of a needed PCV service, did you check the basics... With my most recent 3 I've scoped the vent hose as well as running it into the box and there has been very little, if any build up.
    Appreciate hearing what scope you are using. I've thought about getting one to have on hand for various purposes, but this use hadn't occurred to me!

Thanks.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
    Appreciate hearing what scope you are using. I've thought about getting one to have on hand for various purposes, but this use hadn't occurred to me!

Thanks.
    Not sure what or where you would find it in the States, but I use this one that I bought at CT. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ma...4574p.html#srp Probably available at one of the US parts places under their brand name I suspect. I view the image on the same laptop I use for VIDA. Pretty basic setup but for as much as I use it, it does work well enough. It was a Christmas present from my boys otherwise I probably wouldn't have bought one myself. But it has come in handy a couple of times and now that my geezer eyes are crap, it has allowed me to see some details that I couldn't quite get a focus on.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

I will try a new cap seal and watch it for a short bit --assuming I do get it running that is .
    I switched to synthetic maybe 18 months ago but always changed the oil at 3-3.5k intervals since i have had the car.
    When I did the PCV I did change everything including the expensive hose (but believe I overlooked the cap seal). That was probably 30,000 miles ago.

Thanks all!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gary g View Post
    I can hear the pump buzz. if i push the pin on the schrader valve at the fuel rail or at the gas filter after cranking it, I get barely a dribble.
    Ok - you are trying to get the car to start - and you have no fuel pressure - is there gas in the car? Is it possible the gas gauge is not working correctly and you are out of gas - yes. Have you tried simply adding gas?

your oil leak/tire pressure/phase of the moon is not causing the car to not start.

Hoonk, good suggestion, but yes I tried adding gas -about a gallon. No luck.

Also, yes I am aware that the oil situation/moon phase/Trump administration has nothing to do with the no-start.
    Gary

A shot of starting fluid introduced into the intake of a car suspected of not getting fuel will give a brief run which then eliminates the ignition as a problem and narrows it down to fuel delivery,
    Last edited by AKAMick; 12-10-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Starting fluid sprayed at the MAF got the motor to catch for a second.
    I got around to doing the fuel pump today and it is still not starting.
    The pump is getting power and is buzzing, but still nothing coming out of either shrader valve after several times cranking the motor (maybe 10 times). Nothing leaking that I can see. Is it possible there is a big air bubble in the line? Anybody have this problem before?
    I can only think of three possibilities: 1. air bubble 2. leak or 3. clog between the tank and the fuel filter. I would think a clog that bad would be extremely unlikely. Any other ideas? Feeling pretty foolish here...

Hoonk, good suggestion, but yes I tried adding gas -about a gallon. No luck.

Also, yes I am aware that the oil situation/moon phase/Trump administration has nothing to do with the no-start.
    Gary
    One gallon might not be enough. One time my XC70 was parked nearly empty on a slope, had to add a few gallons of gas to get it going. I think it was 3 to 5 but i forget...

Nice call albertj.
    I put another 2 gal in the tank and it fired up nicely. Thank you for the advice.
    Now I'll drive it for a bit and plan on a probable PCv job to deal with the oil puddling.
    Thank you to all who responded.

Gary

Nice call albertj.
    I put another 2 gal in the tank and it fired up nicely. Thank you for the advice.
    Now I'll drive it for a bit and plan on a probable PCv job to deal with the oil puddling.
    Thank you to all who responded.

Gary
    U R welcome, the Volvo XC gas tank straddles the rear drive shaft and for some reason if the gas is sitting in the tank just so, then the pickup misses it. Is a PITA. I think another post documented the issue better. If you have 1/4 tank or less fuel, might want to visit a filling station before parking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12