Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cabin Heater/Climate Control Module Problems/Questions

Thanks for all the info that I've read, this forum is incredibly helpful for an aspiring DIY XC owner.

I have a 2005 XC70. I've owned it since 2012 and it has never had particularly strong heat. I've always lived with it especially because the heated seats make it tolerable, but would now like to try to fix it. I have a 2 year old daughter and would like to be able to warm the car better for her. We live in Indiana, so it gets decently cold.
    The blower knob does not really function anymore. When I turn the knob, the lights don't light up or go off. Sometimes, they will fluctuate themselves at random (go from 4 lights to 5 lights and back and forth)
    I can usually get it somewhat comfortable by switching to Auto, turning the driver and passenger knobs all the way up to 80, then switching to manual control and directing the heat at my face or my feet or both. When I do this, it's decently warm, but I feel like that extreme setting should be making me uncomfortable. It should be too hot, and instead it's just maybe hot enough.

My coolant level is good, I achieve good operating temp (right in the middle of the gauge)
    The hoses going into and out of the heater core feel warm, though I haven't ruled out flushing the core.
    In the summer, the A/C works well as long as I've charged it recently with freon.

The last mechanic I took it to said that there was "no communication" to the CCM. They recommended replacing it, but to the tune of 1700 bucks or something like that. I can't afford it.

I want to try replacing the Climate Control Module. There are used ones online for between 60 and 100 dollars, and I'm hoping I'll fix my blower knob problem and the heat problem at the same time.
    However, I've read on a few different posts that you have to make sure to get the right replacement.
    In the 3 optional buttons (Lower Left part of Module), I have a "DTSC" button plus a rear parking sensors button. Do I need to find a replacement with exactly those buttons or can they be exchanged with the new unit?
    Also, I took my module out without disconnecting (per other threads advice) enough to see some numbers on the back.
    "w505" was written on a unit that could be removed individually, directly behind the 3 little slits on the face of the module. I think this is what people have called the thermistor.

"1233843C" was written on one tag with a scannable UPC/SKU code

Then, in the corner, hardest to see until I took it all the way out of the housing that also holds the radio, I found what looked like a sticker from the factory.

It had these numbers:
    30746023 05W103-04
    M410DD0-0077

SN 31363524

My question to the forum is, how many of these numbers have to match? And do the optional buttons need to be the same?
    Do you have other suggestions on diagnosis? I do sometimes hear a sound, seemingly like plastic fan blades hitting an obstruction, coming from under the dash on the passenger side. This is intermittent, though for a while, it seemed to only happen when I was braking. Could be totally unrelated, but I'm just trying to present the best picture possible.

Thanks for any advice.

Plus, I think from what I've read that I'm supposed to disconnect the battery with the vehicle totally off. Then when I reconnect, I go to key position II, connect the negative cable. When do I connect positive cable again?

Your owner's manual should have the procedure for dis/re-connecting the battery. This site has a lot of good info:
    http://howardsvolvos.webs.com/miscissues.htm#207347288
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Quote Originally Posted by DannyStringhamMarquis View Post

I want to try replacing the Climate Control Module.
    you have to make sure to get the right replacement.

how many of these numbers have to match?
    From what i understand talking to my local Volvo junkyard (Voluparts) - A used CCM will work if you match up the part numbers. (might be the 31363524 number you quoted)

If you disconnect the CCM with the battery connected you will create an SRS code. Easy to avoid by simply undoing the negative cable before removing the CCM - be sure to move the shifter out of park before taking the negative cable loose.

Your noise under the right side of the dash may be the heater fan motor - it's easy to replace.

Thank you @xfingers for that Howard's link, that is very helpful. @hoonk, the number you quoted has SN in front of it (I assume serial number) I would imagine this number would defintely not match as it would be unique to each part. I'm looking at this one on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/05-2005-Vol...FiTc#vi-ilComp

Hoping it will work. The picture of the sticker with the numbers on this (ebay) unit is identical to the sticker that I got a lot of the numbers above from my unit (including SN). However, none of the numbers match. I suppose I might just have to take a risk and see if it works and return it if it doesn't.

I've found CCMs through Voluparts and LKQ that match my part number (which is apparently 30746023) but neither have the same buttons in the bottom left. I feel like I read in another thread someone say that those buttons (DTSC and rear parking sensors in my case) could be taken out of my old unit and put into the replacement. Is this at all true?

Spray the blower knob shaft LIGHTLY with WD40 (remove the knob first), then wipe the excess off the shaft)
    This also works with glitchy radio volume knobs.
    You can't hurt anything and you have a 50-50 shot of fixing it completely
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Thanks for the suggestion on the blower knob JRL. Still really curious to know the answer to the option knobs question. I'm watching a good and very well priced unit on ebay right now with no option buttons. I want to just buy it and try it, but posting one more time to see if I can score some good advice. Are the lower left option buttons (DTSC, Rear Parking, etc.) able to be swapped out of one CCM unit and put on another?

here's a picture of the front the of CCM - you can fill the row full of switches, but I can't tell you if they will work. I bet if you match CCM part numbers with your old one - as long as the old was programmed to accept the buttons you are putting in, they should work
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7698.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	8413

Quote Originally Posted by DannyStringhamMarquis View Post
    Thanks for all the info that I've read, this forum is incredibly helpful for an aspiring DIY XC owner.

I have a 2005 XC70. I've owned it since 2012 and it has never had particularly strong heat. I've always lived with it especially because the heated seats make it tolerable, but would now like to try to fix it. I have a 2 year old daughter and would like to be able to warm the car better for her. We live in Indiana, so it gets decently cold.
    The blower knob does not really function anymore. When I turn the knob, the lights don't light up or go off. Sometimes, they will fluctuate themselves at random (go from 4 lights to 5 lights and back and forth)
    I can usually get it somewhat comfortable by switching to Auto, turning the driver and passenger knobs all the way up to 80, then switching to manual control and directing the heat at my face or my feet or both. When I do this, it's decently warm, but I feel like that extreme setting should be making me uncomfortable. It should be too hot, and instead it's just maybe hot enough.

My coolant level is good, I achieve good operating temp (right in the middle of the gauge)
    The hoses going into and out of the heater core feel warm, though I haven't ruled out flushing the core.
    In the summer, the A/C works well as long as I've charged it recently with freon.

The last mechanic I took it to said that there was "no communication" to the CCM. They recommended replacing it, but to the tune of 1700 bucks or something like that. I can't afford it.

I want to try replacing the Climate Control Module. There are used ones online for between 60 and 100 dollars, and I'm hoping I'll fix my blower knob problem and the heat problem at the same time.
    However, I've read on a few different posts that you have to make sure to get the right replacement.
    In the 3 optional buttons (Lower Left part of Module), I have a "DTSC" button plus a rear parking sensors button. Do I need to find a replacement with exactly those buttons or can they be exchanged with the new unit?
    Also, I took my module out without disconnecting (per other threads advice) enough to see some numbers on the back.
    "w505" was written on a unit that could be removed individually, directly behind the 3 little slits on the face of the module. I think this is what people have called the thermistor.

"1233843C" was written on one tag with a scannable UPC/SKU code

Then, in the corner, hardest to see until I took it all the way out of the housing that also holds the radio, I found what looked like a sticker from the factory.

It had these numbers:
    30746023 05W103-04
    M410DD0-0077

SN 31363524

My question to the forum is, how many of these numbers have to match? And do the optional buttons need to be the same?
    Do you have other suggestions on diagnosis? I do sometimes hear a sound, seemingly like plastic fan blades hitting an obstruction, coming from under the dash on the passenger side. This is intermittent, though for a while, it seemed to only happen when I was braking. Could be totally unrelated, but I'm just trying to present the best picture possible.

Thanks for any advice.

Plus, I think from what I've read that I'm supposed to disconnect the battery with the vehicle totally off. Then when I reconnect, I go to key position II, connect the negative cable. When do I connect positive cable again?
    Do you have contact with a friend or acquaintance who has Volvo VIDA and knock off Chinese DiCE? Before you go purchasing another CCM for $$$ and only when too late find it doesn't work, or isn't the problem I suggest you hook your car up to Vida/DiCE and interrogate the CC module. There is provision to reset the behaviour of the blower motor and vents under 'auto'. I have found that a previous owner or workshop messed up these settings on my own xc (ten years ago) and running this procedure transformed the climate control generally, including perceived heat output. Also, when the cc is on 'auto' don't meddle with the blower rehostat knob, ONLY when set to manual should you touch this, as on auto the temp setting is inversely proportional to blower speed depending on cabin temperature: check the small vent on the ccm is clear of lint (use a vac carefully).

I was just looking at trying to find a VIDA/DiCE setup a couple days ago and can't seem to make sense of the marketplace of available products. I did at one point find the volvo page where one can spend many thousands of dollars to purchase the diagnostic software directly from volvo, but it sounds from the forum like there is a cheaper way to interact with the car computer. Any links or specific info would be much appreciated related to trying to get VIDA/DiCE for this Junior Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast