Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Chip is inside the black part of the FOB, not the key itself (metal part). To avoid the dealer altogether, remove the chip from the FOB and glue it under the plastic near the ignition switch. Now you can have as many functioning keys cut as you'd like and not worry about programming. As far as theft is concerned, are they really looking to steal Volvos of this vintage?

D-

Here's where I am: http://www.workcafe.net - I live a few miles (bike ride sometimes) from work.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    If you guys send me;
    1: Your VINs
    2: Money!
    I can get you a brand new switchblade key/remote CUT to your car switchblade for about a little over $100 (US)
    Cost is less if you only need a single spare key or a spare remote.

Shipping should be pretty cheap, even to Canada.

You would still be responsible for the two software downloads and your dealer's "labor" to mate it to your car, no way around that.
    Looks OK

Get a spare while you are at it ... Then ask for a 2 fer 1 price with a couple of $10's a $20 gas card bill slipped as you hand over the cut keys to have them programmed.

Chick' A Fila is across the Dealer from me - That gift card worked as well on a 2Fer1.
    2001 X/C 70 - Youngest son's car for someone that is 6'10" tall - and it fits him like a glove.

Venice, CA; 2004 XC70, Silver (AKA: Silvia)

Sorry to bring up an old thread from 5 months ago but having the same issue.

I have one 5 button remote key and a valet key. The remote key case is busted with bad buttons and bad switch blade so I've just been using the valet key. I need to have the 5 button remote key case replaced in order for it to work properly, maybe find a used one on ebay and rebuild it with my parts and I was thinking about getting another remote key as a spare but been calling around and the software programming they are trying to charge me is crazy. They want $350 just labor and programming, doesn't not even include the 5 button remote or the key cutting! Didn't even bother asking what those would cost.

Been calling around local Car key guys (Los Angeles) and so far they don't have the Volvo software to program it so I guess I will be stuck without a 2nd remote for a while or is there another option?

Question: How prevalent is the VIDA/Volvo software? Who typically has it that can do it (other than a dealer) if I was able to find someone to supply me a new 5 button cut key remote?
    2004 Volvo, Silver XC70, OSD, 113,000 mi; AKA: Silvia

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    How prevalent is the VIDA/Volvo software?
    The stolen/hacked copy of 2014d VIDA software that everyone uses to read codes and diagnose stuff will not program a module or key/etc. The only way to do that is with a 3/30/or 365 day subscription thru Volvotechinfo.com.

VIDA since 2015 has been internet based (probably to prevent being stolen)

Shops can buy subscriptions, perhaps individuals can create an account and purchase also, but the dealers have one running all the time. So it is usually cheaper to have it done at a dealer or a large independent who uses it enough to have a yearly subscription.

Info from Volvo on keys http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...nt%2Fextra-key

Venice, CA; 2004 XC70, Silver (AKA: Silvia)

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    The stolen/hacked copy of 2014d VIDA software that everyone uses to read codes and diagnose stuff will not program a module or key/etc. The only way to do that is with a 3/30/or 365 day subscription thru Volvotechinfo.com.

VIDA since 2015 has been internet based (probably to prevent being stolen)

Shops can buy subscriptions, perhaps individuals can create an account and purchase also, but the dealers have one running all the time. So it is usually cheaper to have it done at a dealer or a large independent who uses it enough to have a yearly subscription.

Info from Volvo on keys http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...nt%2Fextra-key

Thanks hoonk for the link and info. Sadly the only non dealer in CA listed on there website is 300 miles away.

Heard the subscription for VIDA is $8,000 per year. I guess I'll just keep looking into it if I ever need one at a later time but for now I'll just try to resurrect my current remote and hope I never lose it.
    2004 Volvo, Silver XC70, OSD, 113,000 mi; AKA: Silvia

They want $350 just labor and programming,

ASK THEM HOW THEY CAN JUSTIFY THAT AMOUNT FOR 20 MINUTES OF WORk?
    "Labor IS programming. Are you sure the two softwares are not included?
    Still, even by CA prices this should be no more than $200 INCLUDING the softwares

That doesn't not even include the 5 button remote or the key cutting! Didn't even bother asking what those would cost. if I was able to find someone to supply me a new 5 button cut key remote?

Didn't you read my post in the middle of this thread? About $100 for a switchblade CUT ... plus shipping.

Email me

All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

If you were in PA I could do everything, Switchblade and labor for under $200 (but you're not. sorry!)
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

The remote key case is busted with bad buttons and bad switch blade so I've just been using the valet key.
    Another option if you still have a valet key and just want a remote - purchase the triangle shaped remote (2001-2003?) and have it programmed.

cheap remote sold here, it might work

https://www.remotesremotes.com/produ...ProductDetails

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast