Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default $350.00 for a key??

Hi,

I need to get another key for my 03 xc70. Called the dealership and they said the new key would be $350.00 and that I had to set up an service appointment... WTF is that all about? What does this chip do in the key?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

vr

That is about right for the dealers price, there is a way to circumvent the process by placing a chipped key inside the steering column close to the antenna ring of the key lock, and getting keys cut without chip programming, which will work as normal because the hidden keys transponder chip now activates the system,. You do lose some security, but I doubt old XC's are a high theft risk anymore.
    Last edited by AKAMick; 09-28-2017 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vrajcula View Post
    I need to get another key for my 03 xc70. the new key would be $350.00
    The "switch blade" style key and the remote are two different parts. Both require a software download to make them work. The key software gets the car to recognize the chip in the key. The remote software requires a code that comes in or on the bag the NEW remote arrives in.

For both software downloads, the key and the remote have to be present in the car while the car is connected to Vida (with a valid subscription from Volvo) The software for keys and remotes are usually about $20 each -

You can also purchase a plain key, or valet key (with no remote functions). That still requires a download to get the immobilizer to recognize the key. The cheapest I have heard is about $160 for a valet key.

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    That is about right for the dealers price, there is a way to circumvent the process by placing a chipped key inside the steering column close to the antenna ring of the key lock, and getting keys cut without chip programming, which will work as normal because the hidden keys transponder chip now activates the system,. You do lose some security, but I doubt old XC's are a high theft risk anymore.
    This is what I did on my XC and it sure beats paying a ludicrous price for a new key especially since the fobs I have worked fine. The trick was finding someone that would cut the blank.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Try to buy a new MBZ key!!!!!!!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    This is what I did on my XC and it sure beats paying a ludicrous price for a new key especially since the fobs I have worked fine. The trick was finding someone that would cut the blank.

Cheers,

Bill
    someone to cut the blank = web search or "yellow pages" for "locksmith" and make some calls, after you obtain a suitable blank on eBay "for their convenience" and tell them they cut it for you on "best effort" basis (they don't have to warranty). To wit: see the LINK. The locksmith may already have blanks of the switchblade fobs that will work, you should ask so as not to surprise or insult them.
    Last edited by albertj; 09-28-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by albertj View Post
    someone to cut the blank = web search or "yellow pages" for "locksmith" and make some calls, after you obtain a suitable blank on eBay "for their convenience" and tell them they cut it for you on "best effort" basis (they don't have to warranty). To wit: see the LINK. The locksmith may already have blanks of the switchblade fobs that will work, you should ask so as not to surprise or insult them.
    Ah, perhaps in NY, but not here. A very few locksmiths and apparently none with the kit to cut a modern automotive key. And the “local” dealer, 2 hours away, knows all this as well.

Cheers,
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    Ah, perhaps in NY, but not here. A very few locksmiths and apparently none with the kit to cut a modern automotive key. And the “local” dealer, 2 hours away, knows all this as well.

Cheers,
    You may want to contact https://www.myswedishparts.com/keys/ [Crest Volvo, Plano, TX] - just use the Contact Us on that page, phone them. IIRC they will sell you a fob and cut a key, but you'll still need a local smith or dealer to use VIDA to make it work on the car. The twist is Crest is *huge* dealer. When you talk to them I think you will find that getting key from them does not totally eliminate the nick from buying a Volvo key but it does make it a lot smaller by limiting the local shakedown to the programming at $100-$200 or so... Wish I remembered this earlier. IIRC key is cut with a tabletop laser device, just requires the VIN not the car, but car *must* be present to match the new fob transponder.
    Last edited by albertj; 09-29-2017 at 07:32 AM.

Albert- My 03XC needs an extra key also, where in the Finger Lakes are you? I'm in Skaneateles. Dave

If you guys send me;
    1: Your VINs
    2: Money!
    I can get you a brand new switchblade key/remote CUT to your car switchblade for about a little over $100 (US)
    Cost is less if you only need a single spare key or a spare remote.

Shipping should be pretty cheap, even to Canada.

You would still be responsible for the two software downloads and your dealer's "labor" to mate it to your car, no way around that.
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast