Default Wet sides of gas tank

03 XC70, the sides of the gas tank are wet, and car smells like gasoline. I watched a couple videos on fixing the cracked plastic (guess its the top of the fuel pump) with a bit of JB. Haven't opened her up yet, plan to Sunday. Is that round white plastic piece a typical failure item? any suggestions? Thanks, Dave

Sorry to say Dave, the epoxy filled circular shape will not be a permanent fix. The white plastic is the top of the fuel pump assembly. Replace the fuel pump. You will need two o-rings. One for the right side fuel pump and one for the left side fuel tank cover where the fuel jet assembly is located. Run the fuel tank level as low as you feel comfortable. Then remove the access covers under the rear seats. There is a video on YouTube showing the replacement procedure.

There is a recall on fuel pumps if the white top plastic is cracked. Sorry i don't remember the recall number, you can google it.
    I know couple of friends who got their fuel pumps replaced by the dealer for NO charge because of the recall!
    Good luck!

Just to echo Charle's post, yes there is a recall; however, I believe it was for Volvos from hotter regions.

The pump housing on hers S60 was cracked like what you mentioned, but it didn't leak onto the sides of the tank. The top of the pump was just damp and I kept smelling a slight fuel smell despite of her thinking I was crazy. I wonder if one of the sealing rings on yours need replaced? The access hole for the sending unit on the driver side is lower than the pump and will leak if not sealed properly. Ask me how I know.

You'll need the special socket for removal of both and 2 new sealing rings. The cheaper URO rings work great and are likely what others sell as Volvo OE. Also ask me how i know.. Take a shop vac to the areas to get all the crud out before opening the tank and make those rings tight and then even tighter during reassembly.

Here's an excellent, but over-detailed how to video by Father Guido Sarducci.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpeab4e5rLs
    2002 S60 2.4T 173k

I checked on that recall at my local dealer, the mileage is too high or too much time has passed. they wont fix it under recall and will charge me just to look at it. I think I'm on my own here.

I've done the JB trick, we'll see how long she holds. If I keep the car, I'll do the fuel pump replacement at a later date. D