Exclamation Key Fob Locked in Ignition. HELP!

Hi Guys,

Out running errands today and noticed that my key fob is suddenly locked in the ignition hole. It doesn't have any play at all. Not even that little 1/4" you push past the lock position to take it in and out. I did notice the steering wheel doesn't lock when the car is off.(?) It starts and stops fine, operates fine. But the key won't come out. Now, I did use a pair of pliers and pulled the fob out. And I can 'click' it back in if I push it. But whether its in or out, the radio display stay on, so I'm afraid I'm going to kill my battery overnight.

Anyone have this experience? Is there a a fix? Is it going to cost me a trip to the dealer?

Thanks in advance. I'll be checking back in here every 15 minutes or so for discussions/answers/suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonWanderlust View Post
    key fob is locked in the ignition hole. Is there a a fix?
    If your battery is ok you may have a bad ignition switch (or also described as a start control module). Have had to replace several. A software download will be required to make the switch work after it is replaced, so a dealer or an independent with a VIDA subscription will be needed to complete the job.

I would put a little graphite powder on the key, and then transfer it into the key cylinder via the key. I think your problem is called "sticktion".

I read about this happening but I virtually never put my key in the slot. Just in my pocket and I push the button to crank and turn off. I often wonder why people put it in the slot to operate the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H. View Post
    I often wonder why people put it in the slot to operate the car.
    Because they have to - the start button does not do anything (on the early square fob cars) without inserting the fob into the dash. In later cars the square fob does not latch and then there are the even later cars where you can leave your key in your pocket and the start button will start the car.

Default I did not know that Mine is an early SN 2008 XC70

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Because they have to - the start button does not do anything (on the early square fob cars) without inserting the fob into the dash. In later cars the square fob does not latch and then there are the even later cars where you can leave your key in your pocket and the start button will start the car.
    I assumed that they all did as mine does since mine is that old.

It was offered in 2008 as an option, - and didn't see many cars with adaptive cruise control either

Hi there WagonWanderlust! Just wondering if you found a solution to this problem or if you had to have the ignition switch replaced? I have the same issue...

Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    I would put a little graphite powder on the key, and then transfer it into the key cylinder via the key. I think your problem is called "sticktion".
    Sorry, my comment doesn't apply to P3 XC70.

Change the steering lock mechanism...known problem
    XC70 D5 AWD Polestar