Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    Yokohama Geolandar's took all the beat nicely.
    I have Yokohama AVID all season tires right now, and I am happy with them so far. I have thought about my next set being all terrain. My only concern is the road noise. I had a Ford Explorer that I put all terrain tires and the road noise was annoying. So that causes me concern since I drive mostly on paved roads (though the point is mute in a Maine winter). I guess what I am really getting at is; is do the Geolanders preform well enough and are they quiet enough on pavement? I am sure they are a compromise, but what multi use tire isn't? LoL
    2002 V70XC

Geolandar for our size have moderately aggressive pattern, so they don't produce too much noise. Definitely less than all-weather BFG Advantage T/A. Perhaps, even less than Conti TrueContact with 20k miles on them. Also the folding knobs noise is low-frequency and is taken away by stock noise insulation quite well. Most of tire noise, as it turned out, comes from side windows.

The tires are grip monsters, and they are truly sturdy and can be well-balanced, unlike Conti, which I had to throw out as I got no help from Conti regarding to thread indentation issue. That problem makes it impossible to balance tire even on a road force machine. I think my front wheel hub died because of constant ugly vibration produced by the tire. Did not try Yoko's in snow yet, I hope I'll be able to get rid of General Altimax Artic, which I barely use in MA.

The only downside is they respond less to steering wheel movement compared to a regular all-weather on-road tires.

They also look so good on our car
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Definitely less than all-weather BFG T/A.
    That was the exact tire I had on the Explorer that were loud. I avoided talking on my phone in that truck, and the radio had to be way up to be heard with any clarity.

Did not try Yoko's in snow yet, I hope I'll be able to get rid of General Altimax Artic, which I barely use in MA.
    I bought my car halfway through the season, and the all season Yokohamas that came installed did a reasonably good job. But I kinda resigned that I would need to get snow tires before this season starts.

They also look so good on our car
    Pics or it didn't happen
    2002 V70XC

2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Sweet
    2002 V70XC

Hey!

Just wanted to share that my 05 XC70 w/ 168k miles survived driving Trans-Taiga road: http://www.jamesbayroad.com/ttr/index.html

From Boston suburbs up to Radisson, then Chisasibi, Trans-Taiga and back - 3500 miles in 7 days!

This was a perfect trip for this car, I didn't even die driving 1000 miles in the last day (about 18 hours purely behind the wheel). I probably have to replace few plastic body panels near rear wheel well as they were eaten significantly by gravel (TTR is 666 km of gravel, one way).
    I can't let my wife see this post! She wants to do this trip in our 2004 but I am worried it won't make it. There are no Volvo dealers or indy's up to that way if anything goes wrong!

Another great adventure drive in that part of the world is to drive from Baie Comeau in eastern Quebec to Labrador City. See here: http://www.tlhwy.com/central/virtual.../hwy38901.html
    Last edited by goldxc70; 09-05-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goldxc70 View Post
    I can't let my wife see this post! She wants to do this trip in our 2004 but I am worried it won't make it. There are no Volvo dealers or indy's up to that way if anything goes wrong!
    I took all the tools with me, spark plugs, coil packs, two full size spares, a lot of canisters, water, food, etc. Tools were not used. Well-maintained and a tad beefier XC70 can make it (relatively new suspension, HD rear springs, aluminum skid plate, mud flaps and A/T tires are highly recommended). Also you will loose rear tow hook cover, so take it out before you hit the gravel

Quote Originally Posted by goldxc70 View Post
    Another great adventure drive in that part of the world is to drive from Baie Comeau in eastern Quebec to Labrador City. See here: http://www.tlhwy.com/central/virtual.../hwy38901.html
    Yes, that one is nice too.

TT was actually a preparation or, better say, first try if the car and the driver can make it through Dempster Highway: http://www.yukoninfo.com/region/demp...20and%20Dawson

in early September, the water was too cold to even think about a short swim
    Huh, I did my morning swimming at TT routinely even at 37F/+3C
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Outside of tires, how is your car modified/outfitted? What robust improvements have you integrated?

There is a road in Maine I want to do called the Golden Road (Telos) that I want to drive, this fall if I can
    2002 V70XC

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
    Outside of tires, how is your car modified/outfitted? What robust improvements have you integrated?

There is a road in Maine I want to do called the Golden Road (Telos) that I want to drive, this fall if I can
    In the second trip we initially wanted to do Nova Scotia and hit Telos on our way back, but the Dutch guy decided to drive TT the very morning we supposed to leave

Most important, the car should be proactively maintained. Like replacing thermostat or coolant expansion tank cap every 10 years just because. This way car does not break unexpectedly 400 miles away from a nearest town. I did a lot of such small things, full alternator rebuild, PCV replaced twice, CV axles, driveshaft, Haldex, wheel hubs, etc.

From mods point of view, I put IPD skid plate, IPD DEM protection, IPD rear toe rods, Hayden ATF cooler, front sway bar from XC90, rear sway bar from V70R, Kilen 66024 rear HD springs, Yakima Loadwarrior roof basket + wider fairing, and my home-made diagnostics: https://github.com/vtl/volvo-ddd/ So I could have car semi-constantly monitored...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	8343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	8344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	8345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	8346Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	8347
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

... TT was actually a preparation or, better say, first try if the car and the driver can make it through Dempster Highway: http://www.yukoninfo.com/region/demp...20and%20Dawson ...
    That's the one my wife wants to do as well. I suggested we buy a Ford 150 Crew Cab, prep it for the trip and then sell it off as soon as we get back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast