Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    This XC70 has an alum. unibody frame. I attached a picture of the XC90 frame...very similar in design. The front doors are hinged to the unibody. As is the front fender. From the looks of the pix, the front door pillar got twisted. You should inspect it carefully, and compare it to the driver's side. Is the pillar twisted?"....Signs of cracking or metal fatigue? Unfortunately,there is no way to straighten out a twisted pillar, and the strength of the frame is compromised in any area of metal bending. And, you can test for water-sealing of the door with a garden hose.
    Thanks Pbierre and Everyone - Yes ...... While we have been hitting the local auto dismantlers here in Brentwood with no real luck for door and fender - we were going to run up to Rancho Cordova this coming Friday.

When you unlach/open the door it springs Open 18-20 Inches with some force ..... So I believe that is the case.

Going to just duct tape it when the rains come and keep driving it until the wheels fall off. Mechanically everything is perfect ! Struts, Mounts, Cooling System, Oil Trap, -- Will make a GREAT parts car for someone - Or just a tax write off for a charity if no one purchases it when I try to sell it on Craigslist.
    2001 X/C 70 - Youngest son's car for someone that is 6'10" tall - and it fits him like a glove.

For a car worth more $ investment to repair, the "A pillar" could be cut out and a used A pillar welded in. As you can imagine, there is a lot of disassembly involved, and specialized skill getting the dimensions of the graft perfect. Then, new door and new fender. If it were a custom race car....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12