Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default music -- iphone 7 to 2009 XC70

for an upcoming road trip i would like to listen to my iphone 7's music.
    In my armrest there's a 3.5 female socket and i'm thinking i'll plug the lightning adpator that comes with the iphone into a male/male 3.5 cable and be able to listen over the car's radio.
    i have not tried yet because i don't know if there is juice coming OUT of that port that the iphone won't like (too many volts? amps?)
    I am under the impression that that port could be used to charge an ipod while listening to the ipod: thus, i don't want to take the risk.
    Thoughts? will it work? Will it harm the phone?
    Thanks for your help. I realize the question probably reflects my naivety.

If anything like my 2008 you use the headphone jack on your device and a cable from the device to the jack on the car. Then press the mode button (?? if I am remembering correctly and currently to lazy to go out to the car to check) to feed the music into the radio.

If the armrest port is capable of charging an old apple iPod while playing it, it must have voltage coming out of it. My brand new iPhone 7 might not be compatible with receiving that voltage. So my question concerns the prudence of just plugging it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Otismodelle View Post
    In my armrest there's a 3.5 female socket

i don't know if there is juice coming OUT of that port

I am under the impression that that port could be used to charge an ipod while listening to the ipod:
    The socket under the armrest is simply an input. Connect from the headphone jack (or lightning adapter on a 7) to the car, choose aux, play, and listen. Stop/play/output volume control will be from the phone/ipod/iphone - whatever you plug in. That socket will not charge your phone/ipod/iphone.

To charge a 7 and listen at the same time you would need a splitter and get power from your lighter socket.

If there is a usb connection next to the 3.5mm jack - (available as an option) that can be used to charge/play devices.

This very clear and very helpful. Thanks very much.

My solution was to get an amazon echo dot, hook it into power and the aux jack, and set up a personal hotspot on the iPhone. It's about the same price as a Bluetooth module and gives me voice command/Bluetooth audio in the car. It's pretty sweet and only set me back 50 bucks!

Thanks for the info. I just changed from a P2 2001 XC70 256k to a P3 2011 XC70 46k and had this same question. On the P2s with CD changer, the Grom Audio adapter was an effective way to get bluetooth connectivity from phone to car. Hardwire via car's aux connection looks like a good start for phone connectivity on the P3s.

My problem is is this: I normally hook my iPhone up to the USB interface and I can control music, etc. through the dashboard buttons. However, the latest iPhone update royally hosed this ability. Since I live in a state with a hands free law I really don’t want to using the phone itself. Siri sort of works if I yell at her enough times. Solutions?

Why don't you play your Iphone through the Bluetooth.

Probably because there is no Bluetooth (at least not in my 2008 / MY09 )

Have you looked at getting another Grom unit?
    I think the GROM-MST4 should work ( SKU: VOLSO4 ) although I read somewhere that you may need to see a dealer to
    enable the software.

http://gromaudio.com/store/most_adap...t4-volso4.html
    --------------------------------
    Current: 2008 XC70 D5
    Previous Volvos: 140, 240s, 440s, S40, V70s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast