Overland to Scandinavia and more!
Spring 2017

Brandenburg and der Havel to Lemgo

Up and away from the Ex Fire Station ‘Car Park’ now called a ‘campsite’ for the next stage to Lemgo, and as we get out into the countryside to the Autobahn we pass a very large field full of Sunflowers!......

Some BIG loads on the Autobahn this morning, but it was Friday!......

We were rolling along quite nicely and had just around 25 miles to go before we came off the Autobahn and then we ran into this lot.
It was around 15 miles long of a Traffic Jam, that was very slow moving and took around 1.5hrs to get to the front which in 30+C was not really very nice!......

But we did have a chuckle when we saw this German Tour Bus with a picture of the Welsh Flag & Caernarfon Castle on the back!......

Finally we get to the campsite in Lemgo!......

As it was rather HOT, we just got set up and took it easy in the afternoon, and in the evening as the temperature dropped and a nice heavy short shower also cooled it down a bit, after dinner we took a walk over to a Schloss, passing this Heron sat on a branch in the middle of a small lake looking no doubt for its dinner……

As we then see the ‘Castle’, the ‘Tower’ gave it away!……

Then we saw the sign......

As we come around the corner and get up close, then there it is, while it looks just like a very large house......

As there was a ‘social event’ going on in the grounds for which a fee was payable, we explained that we only wanted to have a look at the castle and were allowed in free of charge!.....
It was then that we saw part of the ‘event’ going on in the large yard inside, which consisted of food and beer stalls! Bit like a “Friday Night Outdoor Social”……

Looking a bit closer I then found this door in the wall of the Schloss with a date of 1666 on it, so it looked like it has been there for a few years!......

Then I turned around to look at this part of the event……

Had to try a rather expensive dark beer (Schwarz Beer) which wasn’t bad, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy it……

Then we took a stroll down to the other part of the event in the lower part of the Schloss grounds……

As we came out of the event and started to make our way back to the campsite, we spotted this water wheel that was turning……

As we got to the side of the building there was a push button that when pushed, turned on the lights inside the building and illuminated the working of the Mill, while the Waterwheel was not connected to anything inside!......

One of the sets of mill stones……

Off for a look around what is supposed to be a very picturesque town tomorrow!......