Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Update 2

Update 2:

Found some information over on MVS about the fuel pump assembly and the tank arrangement. Figured out that my problem was related to the fuel pick up arrangement. I could see that there was plenty of gas in the LH side of the tank, and gas gauge showed between 1/8 and 1/4 full. However, car would not start. Replaced the entire fuel pump assembly and so far, so good. This job involves removing the back passenger seat and using a special tool to remove the pump retaining ring on the passenger side and the sender retaining ring on the driver side. It's a fiddly job but less complicated than a lot of others mentioned here. I reckon it would take three to four hours the first time, two hours tops after that.

Regarding the special tool, I could not find one locally and decided to make it myself. I used a piece of 4" ABS pipe and cut 18 slots into it. It worked just fine, took about 30 minutes to make and saved me anything from $60 to $120 depending on source. If anybody wants it or a description of how to make it, just let me know.

Also, confirmed that the 2004 does not have a Fuel Pressure Regulator. The computer tells the fuel tank assembly to speed up or slow down depending on how fuel is needed.

IMO, to call the "fuel pump assembly" a "fuel pump" is a serious understatement. It is a complicated piece of hardware. I'm not sure if this is a case of good engineering or over-engineering
    Last edited by goldxc70; 04-19-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123