Default Driving In The Snow

Hey Guys,

So I'm heading to Oregon soon and it's supposed to be snowing when we get there. I need some advice as to what I should bring with me. I'm in Southern California now and it doesn't snow much here (or at all), unless you go up to Big Bear or some nearby mountain. Should I purchase Snow Chains as a precaution?

I've driven in snow once when I got caught in a storm in Big Bear. It wasn't bad at all actually. The Volvo drove perfectly even with the All Weather tires that I have installed on it. The worst part about driving in the snow was the low visibility and the once patch of ice I hit coming down the mountain. Since we'll be staying in a cabin in Oregon and the Volvo will most likely be parked for a few days will it be necessary to have have chains in case it snows quite a bit?

I have zero experience with Snow Chains and this is my first AWD vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Good question and one I've been wondering too. As well as when one chains up an all wheel drive, which two wheels get the chains?

I read somewhere that if and when you chain your tires it should only be the front ones. I could be mistaken though. Hopefully someone with better knowledge of this chimes in.

If chains are required there will be signs posted. There are many on the market so you might do well to have & not need than the alternative. When installed they will give you a speed penalty but they do grip well.

shoot. I didn't keep it, there is a good thread here about it. Answer is in the owners manual no less!! lol Front wheels only. In most situations AWD won't need to cable up.

Read the owner's manual on what chains to fit, you'll need cable, or low profile chains because of tight clearances.

If you've got 4 winter tires, skip the chains, you'll not need them.

If you've got 4 all season tires, then chains can help in tough conditions and they'll set you back less than a hundred.

My recommendation, if you're gonna drive in snow conditions, is four true winter tires. Get a set from Tire Rack. They'll save wear on your summer tires, so while there is an up front cost, the running cost isn't bad.

Genuine winter tires have up to TWICE the traction of all seasons in snow or ice.

They're worth every penny.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Nokian WR G3 SUV.
    No chains required.-Richard
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    Read the owner's manual on what chains to fit, you'll need cable, or low profile chains because of tight clearances.

If you've got 4 winter tires, skip the chains, you'll not need them.

If you've got 4 all season tires, then chains can help in tough conditions and they'll set you back less than a hundred.

My recommendation, if you're gonna drive in snow conditions, is four true winter tires. Get a set from Tire Rack. They'll save wear on your summer tires, so while there is an up front cost, the running cost isn't bad.

Genuine winter tires have up to TWICE the traction of all seasons in snow or ice.

They're worth every penny.
    Absolutely!!! Also on the comment about running chains just on the front. Same argument as running just snows on the front. DON"T..unless you like driving looking forward out the back glass. Guaranteed way to spin the car around at the slightest hint of something other than going perfectly straight.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Nokian are awesome, I have older Hakkapelitta that are quite hard but brilliant in the snow.

but I understand that other manufacturers are catching up. A friend just bought the WS-80s so I will have another personal mark to go by once we get some snow.