Thread: 2003 XC70 Rehab

Default 2003 XC70 Rehab

Well, just spent $3KUSD rehabbing the 2003 XC70.
    The V90CC will be available next year at about $60KUSD with not many options, sort of here you go whether you like it or not. With a year for working out bugs etc, both it and a possible E-Class Wagon are about 2 years out.
    The V90CC is raised 6cm. Seems like Volvo didn't learn from the first gen XC70 as they raised both the 2nd & 3rd gen due to complaints from individuals like me that actually took the XC70 off road and were dragging a lot.
    This 2003 XC70 has a lot of miles off road and has handled just about anywhere I used to go in my Jeep or Scouts.
    But it has the highest cost of problems of any Volvo I have ever owned.
    My indy Volvo guy just replaced both front springs, ball joints and one emission device.
    The DIM was completely dark, so I pulled that and sent to XeModex for $500USD, one week FedEx door to door.
    New Nokian WR G3 SUV's this morning complete the rehab.
    Previously pulled fuse #20 because the alarm battery failed.
    Sun roof doesn;t work but ain't going to pay to replace the battery.
    I estimate repairs have cost over $10K on this XC70, not PM items but repairs.
    Just before the Volvo OEM extended Warranty ran out, replaced angle gear at $5500USD. With $2KUSD for the Warrenty and $500 deductable, I came out $3K to the good but lumping in the $4K I spent for two additional OEM Warranties for the other 2 XC70's, I am $1K to the bad.
    But the car is back to it's rolly polly cushy ride which is actually good for off road.
    Now we just have to make it another two years.
    In the mean time the great experiment begins.
    ContiWinterContact Porsche Wheel/Tire package installed on the C4S. Porsche NO spec tires, good for 165mph.-Richard
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Yes, I bet most of us with higher mileage can put together a nice list of expensive repairs that we've incurred! I've had a spring break in the driveway (didn't have the time order parts and fix), so a rollback ride, both springs, seats, etc & labor was north of $1K. Locked up ignition, bad alarm module, bad ABS motor, .............. The repairs on these are crazy.

The trade off is the comfort (I love my seats), the solid build and safety. I keep having people ask me why I don't buy a new vehicle and there isn't anything I like better (well not for $30K+ more!). I really like the outgoing Acadia, but as long as my XC isn't leaving me stranded, I will keep her alive with good synthetic oil!

2005 XC70 - 50/35 Tint, Yakima Rack

We just had a 10" dump here in South East Wisconsin, not really a lot of snow but it was over 48 hours so roads range from packed snow/ice to wet/dry.
    I've been out an about quite a bit in the rehabbed 2003 XC70 and I'm glad I put the money into it.
    The Nokian's provide great braking and traction and at Interstate speeds of 75, the car cruises like new with zero rattles.
    In Kenosha and Racine counties you just can't speed on I94 as both Counties have squads of full time deputies monitoring I94 as well as the State Patrol. So I don;t even have a V1 mounted in this XC70 anymore.
    The ride is as cushy as ever.-Richard
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S