Default Check Engine Light On No torque at higher speeds.

Hi, My check engine light went on just a few days ago. I tried the gas cap as I know that can be an easy solution. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I was driving on the highway for the first time since the warning light came on and notice I had very little ability to accelerate at higher speeds. Any ideas as to what it might be?

Most auto parts stores will read the code for you for free.

You'll need to use an OBD-II code reader to discover what component(s) activated the check engine light. Often these codes will issue a generic description, not specific to Volvo components, but use this code to search this forum or the Internet to gather a possible solution. Off the cuff, based on my experience, this could be a plug misfire, a bad coil pack or as in my case an engine solenoid for the variable timing. Once you have code(s), we'll be able to answer your posting.

Thanks! Got the code. Turns out rodents were nesting and chewed up some wires. Rats!

Thanks!

Default Been There Too

Quote Originally Posted by Redfivexc70 View Post
    Thanks!
    Prior to buying an OBD-II tester, expecting much worse I had to pay a dealership an hour's labour to identify the same problem. In my case there was enough wire to resolder the chewed through wire myself. In my case, the rodents (mice or moles) seem to like the foam inside the engine cover and fabric hood insulation, then chewing on the plastic wire insulation, nesting during cold winter nights. I applied another layer of electrical tape, covering the exposed wires up to the various connectors. This seems to have worked, but it's a good idea to check periodically for more hungry pests.