With all of the negative I thought you should be exposed to the positive side of things:

I have (and have done)

1999 XC

Bought Used, Under the Volvo VIP extended warranty

When I got it, it had 30k miles...now it has 97k miles in less than 13 months.

As for the traction comments.... I have taken this car MANY places and tried to get it stuck...I have not been able to. I have gone up things alot steeper that what was mentioned in the thread... It was not the car but the drivers. (I can say that because I am an experienced off-road back-country guide in Death Valley National Park, and have 4x4 truck for the "heavy duty off-road trips) (Yes, I take the XC on medium and light duty off-road trips) It has been in knee deep snow, kee deep water, very soft sand, very steep grades (4000 ft elevation to over 11000 feet in only 9 miles).

I LOVE THIS CAR... And today is another example... I filled up with gas in Ogden, Utah and drove NONSTOP to Barstow California! 543 miles!!!!!

Got any questions ask.... I would not drive anything but...

I have onky had 1 issue... the drive shaft had to be replaced but was covered under warranty not long after I got it... other than that it is great and I have Dayton Daytona HR Directional tires on it and have been on icy, snowy Sierra Nevada Mtn Hwys and have not as of yet felt the need for the snow tires.....

LOGAN