As of yesterday, the car that I have owned the longest (8.5 years, more than double any of the other 49 cars owned) and driven the most (265K kms) was driven away by its new owners. Amazingly, I managed to get $3K CDN for it despite the nearly 400K on the clock. This old gal is a testament in defence of the early P2 XC years as it had a decently functional original gearbox, original engine with in-spec compression, really decent interior and exterior and for the most part only cost me, on average, about $1500 a year in maintenance less things like tires. But on the other hand, I did maintain it more or less by the book as well as doing other tasks like periodic anti-rust treatments (RustCheck) and jumping on things needing done a bit ahead of time to prevent further damage. Also I was beginning to see those weird faults that show at high miles and many years; most recently, being the turbo oil feed line developing a pinhole leak in one of the two banjos because of corrosion and actually blowing during the new owners test run. A $50 fix for a new line and fittings and the sale was done; and I hope the new owners (a hockey mom of all things) have good luck with it.

Now its on to my two '05s, both of which did not have early pre-me histories as easy as the '02. It will be interesting to see if the XC does as well as the '02. The R probably will not count here as it will not be the primary hauler. And with our now fewer annual mileage, I don't see either having even the opportunity to see 400K, but you never know with Volvos.

Cheers,

Bill