Default Using Vida / Dice to Diagnose Starting Problem (need advice)

Hello all,

My friend has a 99 V70 XC that has had a lot of very expensive repair / maintenance work done in the last 2 weeks that has put him in a financial bind(Rebuild of Transmission, Replacement of Propeller Shaft, Replacement of both front axles, Timing Belt, Radiator, Heater Core, Thermostat, Brakes all around, Engine Mounts etc). I've helped him with everything that I am able to do, but his mechanic bill over the last few weeks is in the vicinity of $3k +. Just yesterday he attempted to start the car after visiting and it turns and turns but doesn't start for 5-10 seconds. This now happens pretty much every time he attempts to start, and eventually does result in the car starting and driving fine once started.

There are no stored codes using a standard scanner (no misfires etc), and scanning with Vida, only shows a passenger climate control temp sensor fault, nothing else.

This leads me to believe that this is a most likely a fuel problem (Pump, Regulator, Relay, Blockage), a faulty Coolant Temp Sensor or if he's unlucky MAF or ETM.

I have a Vida / Dice Setup so I was wondering how I can use it to narrow down the problem.

I notices that the Coolant temp was registering at 84 Degrees Celsius roughly an hour after being driven, and it does climb higher when the car is started. This leads me to believe that the Coolant Temp Sensor is working properly.

Are there any other checks that I can do with VIDA/Dice to help narrow down the problem, or should I be moving to physical checks (Fuel Pressure at the Rail and Regulator?) then keep moving forward?

It was my understanding that fuel pumps tend to work or not, and given that it drives fine, then it's probably not that. I also have heard that if its the immobiliser, the car wouldn't turn over at all .

Anyway, could someone help to confirm what my order of operations should be at this point, and if I can use VIDA to accomplish any of this?

Holding the key in position 2 for a few seconds before starting doesn't seem to help.

Thanks so much.
    04 XC70 w/ 235k
    04 XC70 w/125k
    96 850 NA w/ 235k

Check valve near the fuel pump is faulty allowing the fuel line to drain?

Known problem
    Buy an aftermarket check valve for 30 bucks, install it right next to the back of the fuel filter, that should cure the start issues
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Check valve near the fuel pump is faulty allowing the fuel line to drain?
    Stock CV IS inside the tank and part of the fuel pump, not near it, see the above fix
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)