Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2001 V70XC Transmission Problems

Hi everyone I am new to the forum. I love Volvo's. I have three. I am having problems with my 2001 V70XC. The transmission wasn't engaging at all. I decided to do a flush on the transmission. I unplogged the cooler line to find out the transmission has no pressure what so ever. I then disconnected the lower cooler line and realized it was clogged. I blew air into it using my compressor and it unplogged. It had amazing pressure after that. It drove amazing around the parking lot. After a while it disengaged again. Today when I started it the wagon drove fine again but after a while it did the same thing. I am planning on flushing it again. Do you guys have any suggestion on what I can do to fix the issue? When the transmission is working there is zero slippage.

How bout some more info. How long have you owned the 2001? What's the mileage? When did this problem first happen? Was the car shifting fine before that? Sometimes trans problems don't show up until car has been running awhile and the fluid gets hot. Replacing with new 3309 spec fluid is usually a good place to start. Some members have installed an aftermarket transmission cooler. If you use the Search box in the upper-right-hand corner of screen, you'll find lots of info on transmission issues, especially for the 2001!
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

I've had it for about 6 months. The mileage is 170,000. It recently started doing this. It was shifting perfect before this started. It doesn't do it because it's hot it does it right away. I'm planning on doing a complete flush and replacing the oil with Volvo oil. I restore cars and motorcycles for a living in just wanted to know if anyone has experienced anything similar to what mine is doing. When I did the flush the transmission fluid had no metal or anything weird.
    Last edited by pgarcia94; 07-27-2016 at 05:05 AM.

I'm relatively new here, but also thought I had transmission problems, when it was really a fuel pressure sensor issue that was causing the engine to lose power and transmission to drop out of gear. $60 for a new FPS did the trick.

Here are a few points of advice I've picked up:

1. At this mileage, you should not be doing flushes. Stick with Drain and Fills. Use Type T-IV fluid from Toyota dealership; much cheaper than Volvo branded, same exact stuff (transmission made by Aisin Warner, subsidiary of Toyota).

2. Get a DiCE reader to check for codes through VIDA (volvo specific software). Picked mine up on ebay for $80. If not, bring the car to a dealer or independent who has one to pull any codes. This is how I found out about my FPS issue, even before the check engine light came on.

3. Make sure your ATF is the right level, using the correct proceedure. There are specific instructions in the Resources->How to section of the website

4. In general, you'll want to look into any and all engine issues before looking into transmission repairs ($$). A short list would include: MAF, FPS, intake leaks, PCV system clogging, vacuum system leaks/clogs, misfires (bad plugs/coils), throttle body issues, fuel pump and fuel line.

5. I believe 2001 models are notorious for having a defective B4 servo cover. I'm no expert, but you can read more about it here: http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/driveline.htm

Thanks for the advice. I have a DiCE reader and have no codes. The transmission had absolutely no pressure from the pump until I blew air into the pump. After that it had perfect pressure. This transmission had NO problem shifting when it does engage. It has no hesitation or anything. Does all the gears without a problem. The issue it has is something is getting clogged. I just wanted to see if there was anyone on the forum that had the same exact issue. Again it is not a shifting problem. The car shifts incredibly well, no slippage.

I will recheck again! Thank you

I've been looking it up and the 01's seem to not have a FPS. I will keep searching and when I have a bit of time I will connect the computer to the car and see what it says

Gonna post this here for for reference:

Quote Originally Posted by pgarcia94
    Hi I was wondering if you remember the part number on the fuel pressure sensor? What exactly was it that your car was doing. Did you notice the loss of power in the engine or was it un-noticable? Thank you so much for the help
    IPD says its the same part for MY01 as MY06: https://www.ipdusa.com/products/6628...-v70-xc70-xc90

I got mine on amazon for $60, its a repackaged Bosch without the wire clip: https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Moto...ressure+sensor

You can read the amazon reviews or google to find discussion that this is indeed the same part as an OEM replacement. I believe yours might be located in a different location than mine (2001 2.4T vs 2006 2.5T).

I noticed significant hesitation and loss of power, first at highway speeds, then more generally at 20+mph. I though it might be the transmission slipping, but the TCM was really shifting it to neutral because of the power loss in the engine.

I did have specific codes related to the FPS so I wouldn't throw parts at it until you are sure this is the problem. You can diagnose a FPS problem by checking the fuel pressure (with pressure gauge/manometer via valve on fuel rail) against what VIDA is reading.

Great you know how to turn wrenches, you probably have the tools and the gauges too. That may help: http://www.sonnax.com/articles/209-a...dy-information Sounds like your car has VB problems, but it does not hurt to check what Sonnax suggests.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

If it's definitely not an engine problem, then here's what I suggest.

Consider adding some Seafoam Trans Tune to the ATF. It might pick up some of the deposits/shavings in the valve body, which you then drain out after a couple hundred miles. Keep in mind it might loosen other gunk and make the problem worse. This is why complete flushes aren't recommended for high mileage transmissions.

Look into B4 servo cover issue.

Read through the Sonnax information and consider rebuilding or replacing your linear solenoids. If metal shavings or gunk accumulates in the solenoids, they foul and can become a cause of low line pressure or other issues. You can buy rebuilt kits, or just buy a new set (look at Rostra).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast