Default 2003 XC70 cranks but won't start intermittently

My XC 70 has left me stranded with this problem about 10 times. I will go somewhere and come out and try to start the car and it will mysteriously crank fine but not start! I have found that sometimes it will start as little as an hour later but sometimes not for days. I have tried:

boosting it to rule out poor battery voltage. It always cranks over really well when it won't start.
    tapping on the antenna ring and key in ignition.
    moving the shifter out of park and back into park, moving the tilt steering and telescopic.
    removing and reinstalling the gas cap.
    unlock and lock sequence 5 times at the drivers door and key fob.
    turning the key upside down and trying it. I only have one key for it so cannot try the other key.

I should note that my DIM module display is usually unreadable as it needs to be rebuilt.
    Does an OBDS II reader work for Volvos?
    I have had the car for a year and love it otherwise, but don't trust it to drive anywhere that I cannot leave it running. Currently its sitting in my garage not starting so its in a good place for me to troubleshoot it. What should I check next?? Thanks in advance.

Don't have exp. with this situation, but I would wonder if fuel is being delivered properly and if you're getting adequate spark for ignition. There's gotta be a ton of info on the web for troubleshooting a "crank but no start" condition. Try searching "Engine Cranks but won't start" OR "Volvo XC70 cranks but no start". Hopefully members who have dealt with this problem can give you suggestions.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Is it only after you have driven it for awhile and it gets hot? You shut it down, come back out and it won't start or does it do it from a cold start as well.......

Probably need VIDA but quick guess is the Crank position sensor if it is a hot start issue.....eventually it will do it from a cold start as well when it has basically totally failed....
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

Its a hot or cold condition. I was wondering 2 things; does an OBDS II work on Volvos? Thought it might be an immobilizer/ Antenna ring issue from what I've read. Would that show up in the codes stored?