Default Should I trade for a new one while we can?

We have a 2011 XC70 3.2L FWD that we bought new and love! We've kept the mileage low (35,000) and the car has been completely reliable.

Now that the XC70 has been discontinued, we're giving serious thought to trading in our 2011 model for a new 2016 model while we still can. The version we're considering is a 2016 XC70 T5 AWD with the 2.5L turbo 5 cylinder.

Is the 2.5L turbo a good motor with the 6 speed auto? Volvo has shuffled their trim packages a bit, so it looks like we will have to do without BLIS, front fog lights, and heated rear seats; in order to gain a new car with back-up camera and navigation.

I'd love to hear any suggestions or opinions on whether to keep what we have or get a new one.

Thank you!

Unless you have asked the question about 'Trade in Value' on what you have got, you might be slightly taken aback with the PX value of what you have when you look at it to what you are considering.

We were and decided to keep what we have.

Thank you! We did ask about trade-in, and it will be far more than just a down payment. Interest rates are quite low (1.9% for 60 months), so we can borrow cheap money.

Any input on the 2.5L vs the 3.2L?

What's a typical lifespan for the 3.2L engine?

Quote Originally Posted by WinM12 View Post
    Thank you! We did ask about trade-in, and it will be far more than just a down payment. Interest rates are quite low (1.9% for 60 months), so we can borrow cheap money.

Any input on the 2.5L vs the 3.2L?

What's a typical lifespan for the 3.2L engine?
    You are welcome.
    When my wife asked about the PX value of our 2010 XC70 she nearly fell off her seat when she worked out that we had 'lost' 80% of the original purchase price!

However sorry to say I cannot provide any input on the 2.5 V 3.2 engines as our '5 Banger' is a 2.5L Diesel.

But I must admit that I firmly believe that lifespan is down to how you treat the engine when driving and regular maintenance, as I have spoken with other owners who are well over 250,000 Miles on the same engine and no major issues in getting there.

"Look after your kit, and your kit looks after you" (The 'kit' in this case being the XC70!)

Not very economical at the least!
    We have an AWD 2011 XC70 at 32K miles and it's not going anywhere.
    It's been reliable and as it's paid for is relatively cheap transportation.
    In two years I may purchase another wagon of make to be determined, to get all the newer safety features but the 2011 will stay.-Richard
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

We have a 2011 XC70 3.2L FWD that we bought new and love! We've kept the mileage low (35,000) and the car has been completely reliable.

Now that the XC70 has been discontinued, we're giving serious thought to trading in our 2011 model for a new 2016 model while we still can. The version we're considering is a 2016 XC70 T5 AWD with the 2.5L turbo 5 cylinder.

Is the 2.5L turbo a good motor with the 6 speed auto? Volvo has shuffled their trim packages a bit, so it looks like we will have to do without BLIS, front fog lights, and heated rear seats; in order to gain a new car with back-up camera and navigation.

I'd love to hear any suggestions or opinions on whether to keep what we have or get a new one.

Thank you!
    The 2.5 turbo is a great engine. I have had it in three different Volvo. I presently have a 2013 XC70 with a 3.2 and as far as having power to get it down the road I do not think it is much better than the turbo 2.5. I can understand wanting to get a "new" vehicle, but the one you have is a great Volvo and barely broken in. You may take a big hit trading it in. You would do better selling it outright. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gorj View Post
    The 2.5 turbo is a great engine. I have had it in three different Volvo. I presently have a 2013 XC70 with a 3.2 and as far as having power to get it down the road I do not think it is much better than the turbo 2.5. I can understand wanting to get a "new" vehicle, but the one you have is a great Volvo and barely broken in. You may take a big hit trading it in. You would do better selling it outright. Good luck.
    I agree with Gorj and others - if you intend to buy a new one, sell it outright, don't trade it in.

I learned this lesson the hard way. I've owned five Volvos since the early 70s, and likely will stay with them (despite repair costs, which admittedly are quite high).

The mistake I made with the last one I owned - a 2004 XC 70 - was to trade it in on the 2012 I bought from the dealership. The previous owner of the 2004 kept meticulous records, and I did the same. However, the used car manager ignored all that and allowed practically nothing for it in the trade.

Just guessing, but I sense most Volvo owners - especially those loyal to Volvo - are very keen on upkeep and may be more likely to invest in one with 100k on the odometer that has been taken care of, than say a newer model with fewer miles and lackadaisical upkeep.

Thank you for all the comments. I appreciate the feedback.

My wife and I have decided to keep our 2011 model with 3.2 and FWD. It's been completely reliable, and we hope to enjoy it for many more years to come.

Having said that, if you need a new XC70 while they're still available, the 2.5T AWD we test drove is an impressive car.

Thank you for all the comments. I appreciate the feedback.

My wife and I have decided to keep our 2011 model with 3.2 and FWD. It's been completely reliable, and we hope to enjoy it for many more years to come.

Having said that, if you need a new XC70 while they're still available, the 2.5T AWD we test drove is an impressive car.

Hi, I just went through the same dilemma with my 2007 XC70 with only 38k miles... Keep or buy a 2016 before they're gone...?? If this wasn't the last chance to purchase a XC70, then I wouldn't have had a decision to make. I really dislike the look of the new V90 that's coming out and I thought this was the last chance to buy a traditional, good-looking wagon. After test driving the new one and seeing the deals out there, I decided to pull the trigger (at almost 23% off msrp). Hopefully, with my low mileage, I will still be able to sell my old one at a reasonable price. The new one is fantastic so far and I have zero buyer's remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc123 View Post
    Hi, I just went through the same dilemma with my 2007 XC70 with only 38k miles... Keep or buy a 2016 before they're gone...?? If this wasn't the last chance to purchase a XC70, then I wouldn't have had a decision to make. I really dislike the look of the new V90 that's coming out and I thought this was the last chance to buy a traditional, good-looking wagon. After test driving the new one and seeing the deals out there, I decided to pull the trigger (at almost 23% off msrp). Hopefully, with my low mileage, I will still be able to sell my old one at a reasonable price. The new one is fantastic so far and I have zero buyer's remorse.
    Probably too late, but if you are looking to sell yours with 38k miles on it you should talk to JRL. I am sure he has buyers lined up for something that lightly used......and if not, what do you want for it?! PM me...
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139