Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Maybe I was too quick to drink the trolls kook-aid?

The troll insists that my 2001 XC has a bad transmission, you know how he loves 2001, 2002 models. Here's the deal, help me think this through. 200,000 miles, unknown last trans flush, not in the last 20,000 anyway. Drivers side axle is starting to vibrate, changed passengers side recently, trans mounts condition unknown. Have not done trans flush, seems opinions say let a sleeping dog lie with this much mileage.
    Here is the symptoms, when I come to a complete stop, the trans lurches and clunks into first. When starting up, it feels like it starts in 2nd and then right away, clunks into first. Other than that, it runs through the gears great. It doesn't matter if I manually shift it or not.
    I found a wrecking yard trans but if dosent need it, I'll find it a home under the work bench until it does.

A drain and fill with Mobil 3309 won't hurt. May drain some of the grunge from the transmission case. The addition of new fluid may slowly clean and will increase viscosity. Drive for 500-1000 miles and do another drain and fill. Each drain/fill is about 3.5 quarts. Jack up drivers side to drain a little more. Source Mobil 3309 from Amazon.

Drain the transmission from the pan.....refill with 3.2 Quarts fluid. Drive it around for a day. Drain and fill it again. Drive it around for a week, drain and fill it again, drive it for a day, drain and fill again. That will change over 85% of your fluid out and allow the trans to adapt some between changes. Will still need more time to fully adapt.

If you do that and the transmission continues to act the same way then on to the next step.....

Do what you want, but letting sleeping dogs lie with up to 200k on your fluid is a not a great idea. Oil, is oil, it breaks down over time and gets dirty, life time fluid means lifetime until your car dies....

Try that and check back...Toyota TIV is an exact replacement for the Volvo fluid as is Mobil 3309. TIV is the cheapest.

AND BTW, you are not going to get much support by calling people names........maybe you don't like everyone's approach to answering your questions and some people come off a bit grumpy, but I know of no regular posters who are "trolls". The 2001 transmissions in particular are notorious for failing and it is well discussed and documented on here. People are trying to help others not throw money into a hopeless cause or make a bad purchasing decision.

Your transmission may be just fine after a fluid change, but a large number of '01s have not fared well overtime......The car is also 15 YO at this point and with 200k miles has lived a good life.....
    Last edited by 8pack; 03-27-2016 at 07:13 AM.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

I'd check the condition of your transmission mount and upper engine mount. I was getting some clunking on foot-off-the-gas deceleration which improved after I replaced mine.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Thanks for the input! I've read on here where people changed the fluid, stirred up the debris and the trans stopped completely, i have a couple cases of Toyota fluid, maybe I'll try it.

Don't know why we can't talk about the elephant in the living room, we all know the poster who cannot wait to jump in with a disparaging remark, or flat out rudeness. It goes back to the old saying: " I don't care what you know unless I know you care... I just wanted to stop before it happened.

Back to the regular programming, I'm going to check the trans mount first. Thanks

Upper and lower engine mount ( trans to frame );
    Loctite with 24 hours of cure time on the axle bolts, along with Toyota TIV has my 2002 with 202,xxx miles shifting smoothly.
    All of the aforementioned service items can be completed in a couple hours in a driveway.
    Also, check your turbo hoses/connections.
    Also, make sure your tire pressure is correct.
    I find that my XC likes it's tire pressure(s) to be at 38lb all around.
    My old Volvo 850 was the same way...Sensative to tire pressure fluctuations.

Quote Originally Posted by Iroll_ View Post
    Upper and lower engine mount ( trans to frame );
    Loctite with 24 hours of cure time on the axle bolts, along with Toyota TIV has my 2002 with 202,xxx miles shifting smoothly.
    All of the aforementioned service items can be completed in a couple hours in a driveway.
    Also, check your turbo hoses/connections.
    Also, make sure your tire pressure is correct.
    I find that my XC likes it's tire pressure(s) to be at 38lb all around.
    My old Volvo 850 was the same way...Sensative to tire pressure fluctuations.
    My aforementioned service items have yielded favorable real world results via smooth shifting over a two year period.
    The same can be said for my switch to 75-140(amsoil and liqu-Molly MOS2) gear fluid for the angle gear.
    Look up Ford PTU on Google- a similar design to volvo's angle gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Iroll_ View Post
    My aforementioned service items have yielded favorable real world results via smooth shifting over a two year period.
    The same can be said for my switch to 75-140(amsoil and liqu-Molly MOS2) gear fluid for the angle gear.
    Look up Ford PTU on Google- a similar design to volvo's angle gear.
    the DEM board for the angle gear is actually shared with many early 2000's Ford AWD cars and vans.

Let's talk about the real elephant in the room: 90% of the posters on this forum contribute nothing. They ask questions and then expect other people to reply, giving their time, attention, and expertise.

If you're one of those: a non-contributor, an asker of questions, then you don't get to criticize those who contribute to your answer. The person that you're talking about answers thousands of questions. He's got tremendous experience that lends value to those answers. You don't like how he answers? Don't like the tone or language? Too bad. Then don't read his posts. Find your own answers.

You're getting a free lunch. Someone else is paying. You can't complain about how they pay your bill.

The polite thing to do, when someone is helping you free of charge, is to simply say, "Thank You" and be done with it.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

+1
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast