Default Brake pedal high and hard...not!

Ok, I did some searching here on the forum and I see a lot of folks recommending replacing or double checking that the front brake caliper clips are installed correctly.

My condition is a pedal that is soft and sluggish at the top of the stroke and when you start to get breaking a response, it responds rather well. So, after you "take up the slack" so to speak, the breaks responds well with good solid braking effort.

If you apply pressure (with or without the car running) and keep steady pressure on it, the pedal does NOT go to the floor or even slightly loose position. Once the "slack" in the system in taken up, she stays solid.

I have already run about 2 quarts of brake fluid through the system. I figured it could use a brake fluid flush anyway, and it cant hurt.

I order new caliper clips from FCP, Genuine Volvo. I intend to put them on this weekend.

The pedal feels very much like when an old 240 would loose its "primary" on the master. Not, sure how accurate this info is, but I was told that the P2 master cylinder failure rate is VERY low. Almost never an issue. Is that true?

Is it possible to get a "GREAT" pedal with this car using all stock parts?

Anyway, ill update after I replace the caliper springs.

Thanks

Yes, it's possible to get a great pedal with all stock parts, and yes, both my cars have the original master in them. What you describe sounds like the feel when the clip is incorrectly installed, or simply broken.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (130K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (58K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (147K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (247K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (300K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (230K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

One of brackets can be stuck far away from "rest" position and brake piston has to move a lot. Take all caliper brackets out, clean them and also the slider pins, grease with silicone and put back.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Did this start to happen suddenly or after you did a brake job?

Quote Originally Posted by goldxc70 View Post
    Did this start to happen suddenly or after you did a brake job?
    No. Its been that way since I got the vehicle about 8 - 9 months ago, and it did not have a fresh brake job.

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    One of brackets can be stuck far away from "rest" position and brake piston has to move a lot. Take all caliper brackets out, clean them and also the slider pins, grease with silicone and put back.
    Yea, I will do this next. I will disassemble, clean, and lube the sliders, etc.

I put on the new clips. Basically zero difference. The new clips seemed much stronger and the distance from the two "anchor" tabs and the long section with the rubber pads was much shorter on the new ones, as if the old ones had been stretched a few times or abused during removal and installation.

I was pressed for time, so I didn't get a chance to see if the calipers moved freely. But, like I said, carefully inspecting and R&R calipers / sliders is my next move. Even though I will do the caliper R&R next, I am still going to put my $5 bucks on the master at this point. It just feels exactly like an old 240 when the master primary was out. About a half a stroke before the brakes take up nicely. Ill report back after the caliper R&R.

Thanks