Default Another transmission thread. Rebuilt vs New? Just valve body or whole thing?

Hey all, newb to the forum but no stranger to volvos.

So this whole love/hate thing started when i purchased my first volvo in a few years for my wife at auction. The car a 2001 xc t5 turbo. No issues where noted. I got in and made one left turn and all of a sudden the trans just stopped working. Right as it went from 1st to 2nd it seemed.

Thus began a learning experience.

Tried selling it. No dice. We concluded we'd take the high road and fix it.

Durring this time I've bought and sold 6 volvos in these years. There great cars once you fix the issues.

So heres the questions I pose to you all.

Valve bodys. Rebuild or replace? Seems to be people divided on one or the other.

To me replacing a faulty part with a oem unit is just asking for the same issues later

While a reman or rebuilt unit from a company like level 10 will have improvment fixing some of these issues.

And on that note how do you tell if a valve body will solve the issues or not.

Follow up.

2001xc 152,038 miles.
    Trans works only when stone cold.
    Tcm throws 002f lock-up funtion code

That means the torque converter is shot. All the valvebodiesin the world will not help the issue.
    Rebuild or replace the tranny
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

"Trans just stopped working" = rebuild time.

Sorry. If it stopped working, it's toast. A worn valve body (low line pressure) will cause slow (which means harsh or clunky) shifts. If the gear won't engage, then that clutch is shot. And only a rebuild can fix that...

I would choose to rebuild a valve body over replacement. You ensure compatibility. A good rebuilder will re-sleeve the worn solenoid housing with a Sonnax kit, permanently fixing the problem.

But, in your case, I don't think a valve body will solve your problem. A good rebuild will include rebuilding the valve body, not just replacement of the transmission soft parts.

T5, by the way, is a trim level in the Volvo line. Bigger brakes, stiffer springs, larger sway bars, sport seats, geartronic or manual transmission, and a higher pressure, smaller displacement engine with more power than the XC or 2.4T.

So, you have either a T5, or an XC...but not both.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (130K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (58K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (147K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (247K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (300K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (230K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Thanks guys.

It does work but only when stone cool. It surprised me today after sitting for a week it moved under its own power up the driveway and in the garage.

I have 2 other XC's both 02s one has a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd. But its on its second trans, was replaced with a fwd s60 trans and they took out the dif/rear driveline.

The other bangs/hard shifts only when at operating temp.

I love these cars and really want to learn as much as i can about the proper path ro repairingbthere issues.

Rebuilt transmission or in the least a rebuilt valvebody
    Depends on the year and mileage
    After that there are plenty of threads as to how to keep them running and shifting properly for a long time!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)