Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Springs

Default Rear Springs

I plan on replacing the front struts and rear shocks on my 2007 XC with 106,000 miles. I ordered the complete strut assembly for the front and was only going to order new shocks for the rear. Should I replace the rear springs also so the suspension would be "balanced" with new springs front and rear? At 106k miles do you think the rear springs have sagged at all? Thanks.
    2017 XC60 T-6 Polestar Tune
    2007 XC70/Willow Green SOLD
    Climate package
    Convenience package
    Premium package
    Tinted windows

Defiantly replace the rear springs and spring seats. The springs have a tendency to break on the P2 platforms. Save yourself the pain of going back a year later and get them done now.
    Did you get OEM front strut assemblies? There are only two brands that I am aware of the sell complete assemblies, Pro Parts Parts Sweden and Sensen (sp?). I'm not sure about Pro Parts Sweden but stay away from the latter, Sensen.

FCP Euro Pro Parts Sweden:
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/...05&m=20&page=1

FCP Euro Sachs & OEM Volvo:
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/...05&m=20&page=1

The OEM rear shocks are cheaper than Sachs right now so grab them. The Sachs front struts are great and reasonably priced. For the springs get OEM or a good quality one like Lesjofors. Don't go to cheap or you may regret it. I know there are some purists on this forum but just be resonable.

Just a thought, if you want a complete, plug and play, front assembly, call FCP Euro and get them to assemble them for you and source only quality parts.

Cam

The front assemblies are Pro Parts Sweden from FCP. I agree that while I have the rear shocks out to replace the springs and associated parts also.

Thanks for the recommendations.
    Climate package
    Convenience package
    Premium package
    Tinted windows

This is what I plan on replacing for the rear. Am I missing anything or while I have it apart that I should be replacing?

My product code for the rear suspension shock is: [19]
    And the rear spring is: [16]

Volvo Shock Absorber Support Plate - Genuine Volvo 8646101 (Two each)
    Volvo Coil Spring Rear (V70 XC70 S60) - Genuine Volvo 9473371
    Volvo Coil Spring Rear (V70 XC70 S60) - Genuine Volvo 8646865
    Volvo Shock Absorber Rear (V70 XC70) - Sachs 30760056 (Two each)

Thanks for your help.
    Climate package
    Convenience package
    Premium package
    Tinted windows

Looks like you got it figured out. I have not gone back to check but if I'm not mistaken, the Genuine Volvo rear shocks are priced a little less than the Sachs rear shocks but I could be wrong in you case ('07 XC). To save on shipping costs and get a deeper discount, sometimes I check parts surrounding and associated with the job at hand. If I take it off, why not replace with new. So look at your end links, bushings on the sway bars, brakes, etc. when the wheels are off it is a lot easier to just get 'er done at the same time. This of course if the piggy bank allows you to do so.
    Before you order, just email customer care at FCP and give them your VIN and product codes on the shocks. Give the parts list you have compiled, too. Have them confirm your order is correct and now you have someone to blame if the wrong parts arrive :-)

Don't forget you will need a 4-wheel alignment after you are done with the job.

Oh, let use know how the Pro Parts turn out. Initial quality and perhaps some reviews after some miles.

Here's my advice: return ProParts struts, buy everything Volvo-branded (spring mount) or reputable known OE supplier (Sachs - struts/shocks, Lesjofors - springs, Victor Reinz - bump kit, Lemforder - ball joint, mount plate, LCA bushings or complete LCA). Or leave old suspension alone, in a year or two it will be in a better condition than cheap aftermarket.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    Here's my advice: return ProParts struts, buy everything Volvo-branded (spring mount) or reputable known OE supplier (Sachs - struts/shocks, Lesjofors - springs, Victor Reinz - bump kit, Lemforder - ball joint, mount plate, LCA bushings or complete LCA). Or leave old suspension alone, in a year or two it will be in a better condition than cheap aftermarket.
    Agreed. I have not had good luck with cheap aftermarket parts.

And when I replaced my rear struts, I did not replace springs. I didn't think the rears were prone to breakage, just the fronts. I did have a front spring break, so I would recommend replacing the fronts if you live in the salt zone.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    I'll take the chance on the ProParts struts, but ordered new Sachs, Lesjofors and Volvo parts for the rear. I feel much better now about the ProParts struts after reading Bill's review.
    Climate package
    Convenience package
    Premium package
    Tinted windows

Don't forget new Strut bellows (cheap) and I don't see spring seats on your list.
    You ALWAYS replace spring seats whenever a strut comes apart as the crack and fail.
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

So new spring seats for the rear? I'm not seeing those listed on the FCP or Ipd sites.

Can you show me a link to what I need?

Thanks. This is new to me and I really appreciate all your help.
    Climate package
    Convenience package
    Premium package
    Tinted windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast