Default Lowering XC - clearances, angles and stuff

Looking for input on lowering an XC, I'll probably end up with a '07 XC this weekend. I want to lower it atleast the normal 2" using S60AWD springs, if not more using lowering springs. I've seen people go lower than 2", and it looks awesome. I've been told you need four springs and front LCAs from a V70 due to track width differences.

However, I have an aquiantance who is adamant that lowering an XC will increase bump steer, which (according to him) can't be dialled out in a for wheel adjustment, and that lowering the front will require moving or swapping the end links. He also means you have to swap drive axles up front when you use V70 LCAs, he claims the V70s track width is an inch narrower on each side.

So, I'm looking for hard facts on lowering these, I know a few of you have done it. Experiences with bump steer, clearance between components, or increased wear? If anyone have hard facts, like a build thread or first hand exoerience, on lowering beyond the S60AWDs 2", I'd love it.

Appreciate all answers, and I'm exited to join the XC community.

-Ray

Quote Originally Posted by McShake View Post
    Looking for input on lowering an XC, I'll probably end up with a '07 XC this weekend. I want to lower it atleast the normal 2" using S60AWD springs, if not more using lowering springs. I've seen people go lower than 2", and it looks awesome. I've been told you need four springs and front LCAs from a V70 due to track width differences.

However, I have an aquiantance who is adamant that lowering an XC will increase bump steer, which (according to him) can't be dialled out in a for wheel adjustment, and that lowering the front will require moving or swapping the end links. He also means you have to swap drive axles up front when you use V70 LCAs, he claims the V70s track width is an inch narrower on each side.

So, I'm looking for hard facts on lowering these, I know a few of you have done it. Experiences with bump steer, clearance between components, or increased wear? If anyone have hard facts, like a build thread or first hand exoerience, on lowering beyond the S60AWDs 2", I'd love it.

Appreciate all answers, and I'm exited to join the XC community.

-Ray
    I lower my '02 originally using Eibach springs, Sachs struts/shocks and OEM A-arms, links (I actually use Chrysler ones of the right length), etc. In the front I needed to use one camber bolt to get the front suspension settings within spec as with the OEM bolts, front camber was just outside the negative side of spec. In the rear, camber was just at the negative side of the spec and I removed that by having to use a 1in spring rubber to get the car to level out fore-to-aft but that was more a function of the Eibachs. The camber change was more of a pleasant side benefit. I put nearly 200K kms on this setup and had no rub issues, bump steer (and boy, I'd know that on the roads we have around here) or any other handling issues. In fact, other than the Sachs not quite matched up to the Eibachs spring rate, jounce-wise, it was a really decent setup and I got a drop that was around 1.5 inches or so.

This spring I needed to replace the front struts so to try and address the jounce issue, I went with Monroe OEMSpectrum which work a bit better overall than the Sachs with the Eibachs. The Monroes, however, have the lower spring seat mount a bit further down than the Sachs so the front dropped a further 1/2in. This required that I run 2 camber bolts on each side to get the front camber within the negative side of the spec. Although the front now works better on our crap roads and sticks really nice, I am getting a slight bit of rub, only on the drivers side though, with my 225/60-16 snows (on steels) and my 235/60-16 summer tires on Tellus alloys. This rub, only happens when the suspension is compressed on right hand turns and the tire catches the liner attachment that is right at the top of the wheel arch. If the attachment wasn't sticking out and plastic I probably wouldn't have a problem at all but it makes a good racket for that split second when I hit a particular couple of heaves on a particular couple of corners. It is so specific as to when it occurs, I'm not worried about it as otherwise it all works fairly well and gives the car a good stance. Handing-wise, there is still no bump steer and, in fact, I get great front end bite and a nice neutral feel out of the back end on moderately tight high-speed sweepers.

One thing to note when you drop these cars is that because the sway bar bushes are vulcanized to the bar, you put an at-rest twist into them because of the new ride height (assuming you are using stock length end links). Considering how many miles I have on my '02 I can't say for sure that the bushes wore out prematurely because of the mods, but I ended up having to replace them this summer with poly which was not at all bad anyway. Front A-arm bushes also have the same thing happening, but I just ignored the angle of installation as specified in VIDA when I replaced them and they sit with no at-rest twist.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Thank you for a detailed answer. Have pics of how it sits with your current setup?

I'm looking to lower it with lowering springs intended for the non-XC AWDs, so to go lower than 2", maybe 3" or more. Ideally I'd like it to sit like this:

https://www.google.no/search?q=lower...LwPaBTOTgqM%3A

So you need camber bolts and all to go within spec, even on the stock S60AWD springs (2" drop)? That kinda sucks. Assuming you used A-arms / LCAs intended for use with the XC70, not the V70.

Quote Originally Posted by McShake View Post
    Thank you for a detailed answer. Have pics of how it sits with your current setup?

I'm looking to lower it with lowering springs intended for the non-XC AWDs, so to go lower than 2", maybe 3" or more. Ideally I'd like it to sit like this:

https://www.google.no/search?q=lower...LwPaBTOTgqM%3A

So you need camber bolts and all to go within spec, even on the stock S60AWD springs (2" drop)? That kinda sucks. Assuming you used A-arms / LCAs intended for use with the XC70, not the V70.
    Yes, everything was stock except the Eibachs and the camber bolts because I didn't want to get into trying to figure out what would happen with V70 A-arms and shorter front halfshafts. My '02 only sits about an 25 cm lower than my '05 with a totally stock suspension (anyone know if stock ride height was the same between '02 and '05?). But visually it looks more aggressive with that stance plus 15mm spacers at the rear and a rake front-to-back of about 15cm. Also the slightly wider/lower profile tires seem to fill the wheel wells a bit more than the stock size. Even if I wanted to try and get more sorted on the camber issues with lowering an XC, our local roads here just can't take a car too much lower due to frost heaves and generally poor maintenance. As it is, I am changing out ball joints and other bushes on a fairly regular basis; and I'd rather like to try and avoid holing a sump or ripping out the rear diff.

Unfortunately, I don't have any really good pictures at the moment. I'll try and get one with both my XCs to try and illustrate the ride height difference.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

That'd be awesome, a well kept XC is always a beautiful thing.

Anyone else have information on whether or not swapping the LCAs for V70 ones requires shorter driveshafts?

Norway have some pretty rigid inspections every other year, I need to be able to swap it back fairly easily, so major stuff probably won't be done.

My 2007 is lowered about 3". My signature pic doesn't due it justice.

I used new Lesfejors HD springs for an S60AWD in front, and some lightly used spring/shock assemblies from a salvage S60AWD in rear. Rear sway bar from a V70R (front is the same size from V70R to XC70). 18" wheels from an XC90. 235/50/18 tires. Big front brake rotors & caliper brackets from a V70R. I put 20mm spacers on the rear wheels because they tucked in too far, and looked silly. Also added an IPD skid plate for protection.

Should have used 225/50/18 or 225/45/18 tires because the 235's rub the front inner fender at full lock.

Alignment was a no-brainer. No extra parts needed to bring it back into alignment. No suspension probs in the 10k miles since lowering, however I did need new upper strut mounts. Mine were probably shot to begin with, so I used IPD heavy duty units.

My only regret was not sourcing and installing Bilsteins when I lowered it.
    Last edited by howie2092; 02-14-2016 at 04:48 PM.
    2007 XC70 Lowered 3" with S60AWD springs, V70R sway bars, 18" Atlantis rims, 12" big brake upgrade, JRL resonator mod, IPD skid plate, tweaked wastegate pushrod, stupid fast.

Quote Originally Posted by howie2092 View Post
    My 2007 is lowered about 3". My signature pic doesn't due it justice.

I used new Lesfejors HD springs for an S60AWD in front, and some lightly used spring/shock assemblies from a salvage S60AWD in rear. Rear sway bar from a V70R (front is the same size from V70R to XC70). 18" wheels from an XC90. 235/50/18 tires. Big front brake rotors & caliper brackets from a V70R. I put 20mm spacers on the rear wheels because they tucked in too far, and looked silly. Also added an IPD skid plate for protection.

Should have used 225/50/18 or 225/45/18 tires because the 235's rub the front inner fender at full lock.

Alignment was a no-brainer. No extra parts needed to bring it back into alignment. No suspension probs in the 10k miles since lowering, however I did need new upper strut mounts. Mine were probably shot to begin with, so I used IPD heavy duty units.

My only regret was not sourcing and installing Bilsteins when I lowered it.
    For the 235 wide tires you just need to purchase the S60R steering stops. The White ones come with the XC70 and the black ones come from the S60R and will stop the tires rubbing. I have 235/50R18 also and no issue since i installed the stops.The stops are super cheap and a easy fix.

I also lowered my XC70 using new S60 awd springs all around with Bilstein S60 front struts and Sachs rear shocks.

31212189 (BLUE) is for use with tire sizes 195 to 205 wide

31212190 (WHITE) is for use with tire sizes 205 to 215 wide

31212191 (BLACK) is for use with tire sizes 225 to 235 wide

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5933/...limiter-18-7mm

Great info, volvospeed70. Thanks!
    2007 XC70 Lowered 3" with S60AWD springs, V70R sway bars, 18" Atlantis rims, 12" big brake upgrade, JRL resonator mod, IPD skid plate, tweaked wastegate pushrod, stupid fast.