Thread: Gasoline

Default Gasoline

Hello V friends... I have been using 87 octane Chevron or SHell gas in my 2015 Turbo XC70...is that good enough octane rating...or does 89 keep things stronger?

You should be using the recommended octane fuel. It should say on the fuel filler door and the owners manual. The engine will run on lower octane but likely with reduced power due to timing changes to account for engine knock/detonation.

Makes sense!

I used 89 octane (mid grade) in my XC70 and that seemed to work fine. Unless you really push the engine or are driving in high altitudes you can get by with 87. Now I am using 87 in my XC60 T6 AWD as recommended by Volvo, but with the same caveat of using 91 in high altitudes or towing a trailer.
    2006 XC70 Ruby Red, mfg 03/06 (traded)
    2005 S80 Ash Gold, mfg 11/04
    2016 XC60 T6 mfg 04/15

Quote Originally Posted by tgwillard View Post
    I used 89 octane (mid grade) in my XC70 and that seemed to work fine. Unless you really push the engine or are driving in high altitudes you can get by with 87. Now I am using 87 in my XC60 T6 AWD as recommended by Volvo, but with the same caveat of using 91 in high altitudes or towing a trailer.
    I was thinking of going high octane with the trailer....and in really hot weather too!

What's the rating for the T6 engine in North America? Here it's specified as 304 or 329 hp, depending on version, but that's with 95 octane fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
    What's the rating for the T6 engine in North America? Here it's specified as 304 or 329 hp, depending on version, but that's with 95 octane fuel.
    Be careful talking about octane rating. The 6-cylinder T6 engine is rated for those power outputs on 95 RON - not 95 octane. RON (as used in Europe and most of the world) and US octane are two different fuel ratings. 95 RON is equivalent to about 91/92 octane in the US market.

Tony

Use what you feel comfortable with and can afford. The computer will figure it out.