Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default trailer hitch installation for 2009 XC70

My 2009 XC70 doesn't have a factory installed trailer hitch and I'd like to install one. I'm not mechanically inclined, so won't do the installation myself. Has anyone had a good experience with a non-dealer, after-market installation? If so, where? U-Haul claims to do the job well and at a significant cost savings to what the Volvo dealer will charge. Any experience with the quality of their work? Thanks.

For what it is worth ....

I paid about $800 AUD in Australia for an aftermarket
    Hayman Reece unit for my 2008 XC D5
    --------------------------------
    Current: 2008 XC70 D5
    Previous Volvos: 140, 240s, 440s, S40, V70s

I paid $145 for a draw tite from Etrailer.com. Took about 20 minutes to install, extremely easy, on our 02'. check em out maybe buy it and take it to you indy?
    96 850 glt (deceased @260k?)
    02 V70XC 120k (traded)
    09 S80 39k
    10 VW Croutan 17k
    98 Chevy K1500 4x 84k
    67 Pont Lemans convt
    09 Chevy Tahoe PPV

Quote Originally Posted by PJJ View Post
    My 2009 XC70 doesn't have a factory installed trailer hitch and I'd like to install one. I'm not mechanically inclined, so won't do the installation myself. Has anyone had a good experience with a non-dealer, after-market installation? If so, where? U-Haul claims to do the job well and at a significant cost savings to what the Volvo dealer will charge. Any experience with the quality of their work? Thanks.
    While the 'Iron Work' is fairly straight forward to fit the Electricals might be a bit 'problematic'!

When I had the Volvo tow bar fitted to our 09 XC70 it came with an 'Electronic Box' that plugged straight in to the already fitted wiring loom, the Tow Hitch Electrics then plugged directly into the 'Electronic Box'.

It might be worth seeing if you can get the Electronic Box & Trailer Loom/Socket if it is applicable to your model from your Volvo dealer as ours came with a 13 Pin Connector for the UK, then get the 'Iron Work'/Tow Bar elsewhere.

When I had the Tow Bar fitted it was £600 ($750) but that was for the type where you can remove the tow ball and put a cover over the hole!
    The permanently mounted hitch was cheaper.

I've since had the full kit de-installed and re-installed on our current 2011 XC70 with no problems.

Default Curt towbar

My Volvo salesman recommended Curt Manufacturing towbar. I've got mine from RockAuto for about $145 USD. It hasn't been installed yet.
    '11 XC70 AWD Caper Green

BeavenX5 and I both installed the Hidden Hitch one, which was great. I wasn't towing a trailer (for bike rack use) so I didn't install the wiring, but definitely check them out. Theirs is a class higher than the OEM one, plus it looks cleaner, as less cutting of the bumper is involved.

Search for Beaven's thread, I'm pretty sure he posted it.
    09 XC70 T6 - Sold

If you are planning to fix a hitch on your own then you must be cautious.Make sure that the hitch has been tried and tested from a reputed validation company.Search in the internet for more information on hitches and connecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by JarekMW View Post
    My Volvo salesman recommended Curt Manufacturing towbar. I've got mine from RockAuto for about $145 USD. It hasn't been installed yet.
    I put on a Curt Hitch a couple of weeks ago and I have to say it went very smooth (without a hitch). If you follow the instructions it takes about 2 hours and its right on. Here is a link to the instructions and some pics, I also took the opportunity to clean inside the bumper cover.

Enjoy!

http://sitepro12.sitepro.com/masterl..._13266_INS.pdf

Last edited by JWW; 06-15-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Arrow

Bumping this thread because I have the same question...IN my case, I want to know who to take the car to. Because I have rear view park assist and a million other electronics, and plan to tow a travel trailer, I don't want to cut any corners. Dealer? Uhaul? Ind shop? thanks.

To get full integration with the car's other electronic system, a TRM (TRailer Module) must be installed. It connects to the communication bus system in the car upstream and to the electric socket at the hitch downstream. Thus these things will work automatically:
    Disables park assist sound when trailer connected.
    Senses trailer connection (rear lights consume power).
    Verifies proper operation of turn indicator and brake light on trailer.
    Prevents rear fog light on car from turning on, thus not reflecting from front of trailer.
    Modifies overlay in rear view camera (if fitted).
    Allows all functionality available in 13-pole electrical sockets.

The car's software must be updated to handle the TRM properly. This must be done by someone who had a VIDA connection to Volvo's software database.
    From 2013 there's a new design of the TRM, to handle trailers with LED lights properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast