Default xc90 mayday mayday .... some issues with the cams

Long story short a hack macanic did an oil change and broke the dip stick. Cutting tube and zip ties were involved... major issues to alternator, and timing jumped. I did not lock cams and disassemble top of the motor. No valves bent, all cylinders air tight. I set crank to timing mark. With the cams and the cvvt there are no master spline marks to go off of. On the cams at the back end where the lock tool should go cam I set timing that way. Meaning the notch that goes all the way across and is offset of the center of the cam on both Intake and exhaust. ... any ideas

Sooooo no one knows huh..... try some thing simpler.... where the turn signal fluid go...

Quote Originally Posted by this guy View Post
    I did not lock cams and disassemble top of the motor.

On the cams at the back end where the lock tool should go cam I set timing that way.
    If you disassembled the top of the motor (removed the cam cover and cams), then yes the only way to set the cam timing correctly is with a cam locking tool on the rear of the camshafts. (with #1 cylinder at TDC)

But when I rotate crank to get cylinder one to TDC timing on crank gear doesn't line up on the block....

Here is what VIDA shows for timing marks on some 5 and 6 cylinder engines. The mark on the lower cam belt pulley is difficult to see sometimes. (and I have never checked if that is #1 @ TDC)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timing marks.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	7155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timing.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	7156
    Last edited by hoonk; 06-12-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Thanks guy... thankfully I went with my gut instinct.... cylinder 1 TDC... not with a volvo.... would have bent the **** out of my valves... I'm just glade I didn't go " an expert said tdc with cylinder 1 and timing marks okay start her up"( clank bang chunch... bam) there went my motor... I'd appreciate it if your not a macanic or this hasn't happen to you first hand don't give , ehhh I kinda guess ...like 73% maybe right info...

Notice over 200 veiws... no incite from ppl ... most likely they had no input due to not knowing or got a good laugh and said oh this guy's ****ed...

Sry kinda pissed, stayed up all night taking this hacks incite and no start, the only thing starting round here is my 8hr shift...yay me....