Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 203,000 miles

Default 203,000 miles

I am looking at a 2002 XC 70 with just over 203,000 miles. The body and interior are nearly perfect. The vehicle appears to have been taken good care of and all of the components work well. The cost is right at book value. I am a single mom and need reliable transportation. I only put on 400-500 miles most months. Am I crazy to consider it???

Quote Originally Posted by Idahogirk View Post
    2002 XC 70, 203,000 miles.

I am a single mom and need reliable transportation.
    Am I crazy to consider it???
    Yes,

But - if the transmission, cooling system (including the radiator), alternator, all shocks and struts, lower control arms and a complete pcv replacement have been done in the last two years; and you have all records of maintenance showing oil changes at least every 5000 miles, and proof that the tires have always been replaced as a set (one or two at a time can damage the awd system over thousands of miles) - then the car might be worth the $1362 that edmunds.com suggests the car is worth buying from a private party in clean condition. That is as long as a prepurchase inspection by someone very familiar with Volvos does not discover anything that needs attention.

Japanese cars are always more reliable than Swedish or German cars.

If you're a single mom, and on a limited budget (as many single moms are) then I would skip the Volvo. It's a great car, safe, practical, and good in all weather. BUT, the maintenance on this vintage car can be a challenge. If it's had everything that Hoonk suggested (as the T5 that my daughter is driving has), then it could be a reliable car that serves you well...

Or, it could be a huge money pit, and I would hate to see you sign up for that...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

I'd advise you against it unless you are good at repairing your own cars. If you have to rely on a mechanic, or worse a dealership, this one will not end well.

If you do the maintenance yourself it should work out OK because enough is known and shared about these cars that you can do a good bit of preventive maintenance. Maintenance would include replacing struts, suspension bushings, servicing the PCV system, and more - not just oil changes... You will need to get and learn how to use your own laptop computer running Windows XP or 7 and a VIDA/DICE device.

If you are not doing the maintenance yourself then it's not such a good idea; there is a REASON that such a nice car only has a book-value of $1300 - $1400. On the one hand, it runs and drives nicely. On the other hand, it is not a new car and maintenance/repairs at $75-$125/hour plus parts add up REALLY quickly, and it's smart to use a repair shop that specializes in Volvo - the specialization will keep your costs down somewhat because familiarity saves time and cost.

So - you're not crazy to consider it, it's just that you want to factor the time and cost into your decision. Single mothers and single fathers are brave, determined and resourceful by and large - I assume that includes you because you're on here asking about this issue instead of guessing. For instance: http://www.today.com/home/mom-builds...orials-t107077.

Bottom line, I think, is these cars are not maintenance free and not inexpensive. Thing about the Volvo is that because of the basic structural integrity (quality of materials used in the car body and unibody frame) when you do repairs well then you still have a car to drive, and there are communities of enthusiasts who will generally steer you in the right direction on maintenance and repair.

Do not be afraid of it but think about your priorities for how you spend your time and then decide, because there will be trade-offs.

I'm guessing from your login, you're from Idaho. Where? I'm in Idaho too. There are some good Volvo techs around depending on where you are. my 2001 just turned 204,500 miles. Love the little tank but it has taken a lot of patience and elbow grease to get it to this milestone.
    Let me know if I can help. if its close, I'd be happy to go look at the car with you.
    Barney

A VERY bad idea (IMO).
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

My .02 is that you're gonna have to come up with a budget plan to see if the car will work for you. Take it to a Volvo indy repair shop before you buy and have them tell you everything that needs to be repaired/replaced and what it will cost. Add this to the cost of your vehicle. Do the numbers still look good? Unless you're gonna do repairs yourself, figure about $2500(?) per year for maintenance to keep the car on the road.

If you decide to buy this car, make sure it doesn't have transmission issues! A replacement trans is $5-6,000. Drive the car for 30 MINUTES and then see if it still shifts OK. Some trans problems don't show up until the car is good and warmed up (my experience).
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

YES you are crazy to buy it. These are great cars but very expensive to fix. If any maintenance items have been skipped like fluid changes in the differential, haldex or bevel gear you won't know until it is too late and be in for big bucks. Aftermarket rear shocks don't exist, engine mounts wear out regularly, if the DIM (electronic dashboard) hasn't gone yet that is due, AC is big bucks to repair and the list goes on. If you do all your own work it can be worth it, but if not it is a crapshoot.

Go get a Subaru Outback or Impreza or better yet lease one of them if you put such low miles on your car. You should be able to get something for a few hundred a month which is much less than even one major repair on the Volvo. Or buy a used Subaru. Super reliable and cheap to repair.

Good luck.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

Devil's Advocate on the Subaru, it seems like a question of when, not if, the head gaskets will go, and before I got my Volvo, I was looking at an Outback, and priced out the timing belt service for kickd and giggles, it was actually more for the Subaru than what it was for the Volvo. Just food for thought. However, yes, the OP is crazy for looking at a 2002 model at ANY mileage. A 15 y/o European car and "reliable" are mutually exclusive.

Find a Camry or Accord, or even a 3.8L GM car of that vintage. They're damn near bulletproof. Heck, even a $1,000 Jeep Cherokee would be a better bet.
    Silver '07 Adventure Series

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast