Question Recommended winter wheel size for MY09 XC70

I bought a MY09 XC70 last week and it came with summer tyres/rims 235/55 R17. I want to add a dedicated set of winter rims and tyres for the car as we go on ski trips. Does anyone know what is the volvo recommended winter tyre/rim size.

I have a set of rims left over from my previous car MY05 V70. These are 16 inch....so in theory I could use these and buy winter tyres 215/65 R16. Does anyone know if this configuration is recommended?

The third generation XC70/V70 rims are different than the second generation ones. Different offset and the center hole is a different diameter.

Question The V70 rims seem to fit

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    The third generation XC70/V70 rims are different than the second generation ones. Different offset and the center hole is a different diameter.
    It might be that the spec. of cars in Europe (I live in Belgium) is different than North America. I tried the MY05 V70 16 inch rims on MY09 XC70 today and they seem to fit OK. The offset looks about the same and the diameter of the center hole is the same. The minimum clearance of the brake caliper and the inner wall of the rim has gone down from about 1.4 cm on the original 17 inch rims to about 0.4 cm on the 16 inch rims but seems OK.

Any reason why these rims wouldn't work as winter rims?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rims1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	6941

Quote Originally Posted by Andy4488 View Post
    I bought a MY09 XC70 last week and it came with summer tyres/rims 235/55 R17. I want to add a dedicated set of winter rims and tyres for the car as we go on ski trips. Does anyone know what is the volvo recommended winter tyre/rim size.

I have a set of rims left over from my previous car MY05 V70. These are 16 inch....so in theory I could use these and buy winter tyres 215/65 R16. Does anyone know if this configuration is recommended?
    One word of caution!

I would if I was you want to know what impact going to a smaller wheel size would have on your Speedometer, especially with the Mobile Radar Traps in Europe as you could get caught out!

I think I would be putting your proposal to a local Volvo Dealer in Belgium and if they cannot answer then ask them to contact the Technical Support in Sweden.

Better to be safe than sorry, and a BIG fine!

Default Winter tyres

The wheels rims are smaller R16 instead of R17 but the side wall of the tyre is increased from 55 to 65 so there is no effect on the spedo.

Quote Originally Posted by XCovlov70 View Post
    One word of caution!

I would if I was you want to know what impact going to a smaller wheel size would have on your Speedometer, especially with the Mobile Radar Traps in Europe as you could get caught out!

I think I would be putting your proposal to a local Volvo Dealer in Belgium and if they cannot answer then ask them to contact the Technical Support in Sweden.

Better to be safe than sorry, and a BIG fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy4488 View Post
    The wheels rims are smaller R16 instead of R17 but the side wall of the tyre is increased from 55 to 65 so there is no effect on the spedo.
    Good news then as the increased side wall will also help stop your wheels going out of alignment thanks to hitting Potholes in the road which is a real problem in both the UK and Europe thanks to cutbacks on road maintenance!