Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My 2005 XC70, viable long term option?

So I've had my 2005 XC70 2.5T Geartronic since August 2014 and I've done about 10 000km with it since.

It now has 83,000km (51,875 miles) on the clock.

Currently it needs:

1. Upper Engine Mount
    2. Lower Transmission mount
    3. Alarm siren module (Miraculously cured itself and working fine now).
    4. Gearbox sometimes slams into 1st gear when suddenly accelerate whilst coasting.
    5. Cambelt service in the next year.

I have done:
    1. 4x New Tyres
    2. Minor service.
    3. Vacuum pump and switch.
    4. Left front and right front shock mounts.

I currently have about 18 months left of a mechanical and electrical warranty on the vehicle. It covers the major components for a certain amount each. Must say that it is quite sufficient, i.e. I can cover a gearbox rebuild if needed.

My car is now 10 years old. We have just had a baby and I really want to keep this as a daily drive for myself (wife has an S40) and long distance family car. By long distances I mean 700km to the coast and about 450km to Johannesburg. Especially on the drive to the coast there are miles and miles of nothing between towns, so a reliable car is a must. Also, this is Africa, so being stranded next to the road can be extremely dangerous, being hijacked and robbed is common.

My wife recently lost her job (company did not renew her contract due to the pregnancy) so money is in very very short supply, but let's say I can keep up with the maintenance on the XC, will it be a reliable family car for the next 3 to 5 years?

Also bear in mind that I really really love the car and the way it drives. The wife hates the way it looks, but loves the ride comfort and space. Little one is still too small to form an opinion, but I'm sure I can influence that when the time comes!

Your car is quite low miles. Quite new.

You're looking at all the things that my car needed at about the same age, though with a few more miles. I spent the $$, replaced what was needed and have enjoyed the car for years afterward.

I understand how it is when $$ are short (we have four kids in college this year, one just graduated in December, one is part time finishing his senior year, a senior, and a freshman)...but keeping this car is far cheaper than any of the other options: new, or different used car. Similar situation for us a few years ago. The safety, low insurance cost, low depreciation and yes, reliability of the Volvo are a great combination.

I'd keep it.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

I agree with Astro. No matter what vehicle you have, you'll have to do maintenance. I just purchased my XC the other day, so I'm in no position to give you an opinion in regards to my personal experience, but I have read many, many threads on issues/fixes/maintenance/etc... with these vehicles before purchase. If you treat them well, they'll treat you well. If you are the type that can DIY, that will be very beneficial and save you $$$. There are common issues with these that you will find in the forums, and if you investigate the common issues and look your XC over, that may help you in whatever decision you make. There are also preventitive measures you can take to help keep some of the issues at bay.

I would have the transmission flushed with the correct 3309 fluid, reset the adaptions and fluid counters and see what comes out of that.
    I'm surprised at these miles but you may need a new valvebody (warranty should cover the valvebody but start the process with the fluid changes now).
    You need a dealer or a VIDA DICE unit do do the adaptions.
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    I would have the transmission flushed with the correct 3309 fluid, reset the adaptions and fluid counters and see what comes out of that.
    I'm surprised at these miles but you may need a new valvebody (warranty should cover the valvebody but start the process with the fluid changes now).
    You need a dealer or a VIDA DICE unit do do the adaptions.

This.
    Quite low mileage, and you still have warranty. No hesitation, keep it.

And +1 to this : If you treat them well, they'll treat you well.
    ------------------
    V70 '07 "The V"
    XC70 R - Snabb intake, RICA 2.5, EST 3" DP, R exhaust... etc etc..
    ------------------
    XC70 '05 "Grizzly" -- SOLD
    S70 '99 LPT "Blackie" -- SOLD
    S70 '98 NA "Pearly" -- SOLD
    740 '90 B230F "Rusty" -- SOLD and now DEAD
    ------------------
    and some Gibson, Fender, Marshall,... but it's another thing... !!

A Volvo is no Toyota for reliability, but they are in the top three for the longest lasting/durability. And no matter how you spin it, new car payments are always more than fixing a Volvo. Even if you had to replace the transmission out of pocket.

my 05xc has about 150,000 miles and for the most part has been great. I wouldn't hesitate to keep the one your describing. My advice would be to get every bit of warranty out of it before it expires. As far as the family part goes, the only reason I am alive is because of a 240 wagon so keep that in mind. Hth

Put almost 75k kms in my 2005 XC70 since November 2012, this car is super solid. I keep records: http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/543177.html Literally I do mostly maintenance things, no big repairs.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Going out on a limb here but the alarm siren and funks transmission actions may be early warnings of a failing battery. Electronics tend to go funky at low voltage. I had odd alarm issues when I first bought my Volvo, it had been sitting for awhile. After some regular driving it has been issue free for over 2 years now. I assume the battery voltage was dropping from sitting.

The motor mounts you mention are very simple to replace (30mins for the lower and an hour for the upper if you work real slow) and relatively cheap to purchase. When you have the upper tie bar off for the upper mount it would be a good time (based on your mileage) to do spark plugs.

If the battery is original, replace it ASAP, it's 10 years old!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast