Default Oil Capacity/Overfilled ?

Yesterday I received a call from the dealer that the 8 qt of oil that I provided for the 45,000 mile survive was not sufficient and they needed to add one more quart of oil to our 2010 XC70. The owner's manual list the oil capacity as being 7.8 qt. I realize that depending on how long one allows the oil to drain out of the sump will result in some differences but has anyone needed to add 9 qt of oil to their XC70?

My concern that adding 1.2 qt over the listed oil sump value would likely result in the crankcase being overfilled.

I would check the oil level myself. With the car engine off for at least 1 hr. on level ground check the level at least twice to make sure you get an accurate reading. If it needs more , add to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Butler View Post
    The owner's manual list the oil capacity as being 7.8 qt.
    Yes it does - we found that is not enough, customers were coming back pissed because their low oil level warning came on - So now we put in 8.2 quarts and everyone is happy.

The filter and included lines to the filter always seems to take close to .5 quart, so at around 8.2 that seems reasonable. I wonder if the dealer wanted a whole extra quart to get the extra little bit to account for the filter, and still leave plenty in the sump to measure.
    It does seem that 9 full quarts would leave the system over by 3/4 or so.